Will Echo Indigo Dj drive hd650 ?
Jan 8, 2007 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

y0-

Head-Fier
I recently picked up some HD650s. I currently use them on my portable setup but I would like to turn my laptop into a more headphone friendly setup. Budget would be starting around $200-$300. I could eventually add on more, but it would be awhile.

The Laptop is stock for now, just using the onboard sound card / headphone jack. I figured if I got the echo indigo DJ card I could later on use its line-out to a better amp to power the HD650s. I also was looking at perhaps an EMU 0404 USB or perhaps a Total Bithead. I am wary of getting a Bithead, because while it will probably do a decent job of driving the phones, if I ever chose to upgrade I would not be able to use the Bithead in the chain.

So I bring this dilemna to those who know alot more than me on this subject. What do you guys think?
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 6
In my opinion, it does NOT drive HD650s very well at all. You really need an external amp to drive the HD650s to decent levels. Plugged into the Echo directly, I think the best way to describe it is that it lacks ALOT of detail and authority. There's no impact at all compared to the Hornet.

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 6
Thank you very much for the link Aryolkary.

It sounds like the EMU 0404 USB might be able to at least get the HD650s running until I can upgrade to a more powerful amp. I assume at that point I could use the line out on the EMU and run it into the amp. Anyone see anything wrong with this setup? If not, it sounds like the direction I will be taking.

Appreciate the help from everyone so far!
icon10.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 6
If you see amp upgrade in the future, go for emu 0404, serves as a good dac and temporary headphone amp :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back