Will denon ah-d2000's have way less recessed mids and vocals than beats tours?
Feb 23, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 6
Yes. Despite all the talk of them being "V shaped" and "Recessed", the D2000s are very strong in the Mids (compared to other $250 sets). They made the Beats Studios sound like a muddy mess to me. I loved my pair but preffered the softer treble of the HD650.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
I have a pair of beats tours and sennheiser hd500's. Will the denon d2000's mids be better than both?

The Denons do not have significantly recessed mids. I don't know where this comes from, but it just gets perpetuated over and over. The Denons are nearly linear from 1khz to 30hz. That's amazing. Few headphones do that, especially in the mid-tier bracket. There is a small 2~3db difference from 1khz to 30hz. That's it. 2~3db. That is not recession of mids.

The Hifiman HE-500 has the same thing, about a 2~4db difference from 1khz to 30hz. Yet not one is out screaming that the HE500 has recessed mids.

Now what you hear from the D2000 will be different from the HD650. The HD650 is a dim headphone, treble is very dulled and dim, so it's a dark sound, so you naturally hear mostly mids and upper & mid bass. The D2000 will sound more sparkly, with a more bright treble, mids will be normal (not recessed), and the bass will be linear, and the sub-bass will be authoritative but it won't be overly bassy when bass isn't called for.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back