Will Colorfly C3 sound better than my mz-rh1 hi-md minidisc player?
Jul 9, 2014 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

PaulDenton

New Head-Fier
First of all hello to all!

I just recently bought two rh1 minidisc players ( one for me and one for my gf) because i have always thought that minidiscs look cool and i know people appreciated the sound quality as well. And yes they sound good but i seem to be one of those who could hear a slight quality differency between minidisc and cd, and as days go buy i seem to get more and more uneasy with the fact that it is not lossess and that maybe i wasted a little too much money (2x 500 dollars) on units of the past .

In a way the answer to my question might seem obvious since i know C3 supports lossless format, but what makes me still ask the question is the quality of the products. I mean i know that that a quality product like rh1 minidisc player can sound better than some crappy cd player since the player itself is good and it will make the lesser format just sound better. Can it be the case with c3? 

And once again i am only comparing the sound quality of audio files, not other functions like capacity, etc.

I am considering selling my mindisc players and buy colorfly instead.

Thank you for reading,

Paul

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 5
There would be no difference between minidisc vs cdplayer if using the same sound files and the sound is output to the same DAC/amp. If you are connecting headphones directly to the minidisc, what you are hearing as the difference between that and your CD player is the built in headphone amp/dac.

The reason that minidiscs (and portable CD players) are no longer popular is because one can use flac files on digital audio players, a lossless file format that is indistinguishable from CD. Colorfly C3 supports that. If you don't need the recording capability of the minidisc, definitely could be worth considering a different DAP with a good headphone amp/DAC inside. The iBasso DX50 is an especially good bargain at the moment for $199. FiiO X3 another.

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 5
First of all hello to all!

I just recently bought two rh1 minidisc players ( one for me and one for my gf) because i have always thought that minidiscs look cool and i know people appreciated the sound quality as well. And yes they sound good but i seem to be one of those who could hear a slight quality differency between minidisc and cd, and as days go buy i seem to get more and more uneasy with the fact that it is not lossess and that maybe i wasted a little too much money (2x 500 dollars) on units of the past .

In a way the answer to my question might seem obvious since i know C3 supports lossless format, but what makes me still ask the question is the quality of the products. I mean i know that that a quality product like rh1 minidisc player can sound better than some crappy cd player since the player itself is good and it will make the lesser format just sound better. Can it be the case with c3? 

And once again i am only comparing the sound quality of audio files, not other functions like capacity, etc.

I am considering selling my mindisc players and buy colorfly instead.

Thank you for reading,

Paul

To reassure you the sound quality of C3 is not cheap, many find it superior to any Apple product and myself rate it higher than any Cowon's I've owned. I can understand you thinking that, it's not the case with C3. Quality product, well built and great sound. It should separate instruments much better and sound clearer / better detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back