will cat5e cabling work
Oct 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

voodoo do-er

100+ Head-Fier
I have a bunch of cat5e cabling, and I want to rewire my LP sextett's
the stock cable sucks. it's to long and needs resoldered. so I may as well changed it.
heck I think its made of aluminum or steel, but IDK maybe its silver :confused_face(1):

I plan just to remove the wiring and use the old shielding.

BTW andy tips on what solder to use.
or will any do?

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
I have a bunch of cat5e cabling, and I want to rewire my LP sextett's
the stock cable sucks. it's to long and needs resoldered. so I may as well changed it.
heck I think its made of aluminum or steel, but IDK maybe its silver
confused_face(1).gif

I plan just to remove the wiring and use the old shielding.
BTW andy tips on what solder to use.
or will any do?

It wouldn't be aluminium, only see that on MV/HV cabling. Steel is highly unlikely, you can get copper clad steel in cables but it would be extremely unlikely in a headphone cable. Doubtful it is silver as well. If it has a silver coloured appearance it would likely be 'tinned' copper.

Depends what kind of cat5e, solid is completely useless in any application but fixed cabling and even then it is intended for data/telephony, solid is a pain to deal with, snaps easily and don't get me started...

Stranded is okay but not really great, at least it is intended as a patch lead, but it's much too fine gauge for many applications.

Lack of shielding, although there is the probable benefits of twisted pair construction ?

Benefits to that though depends on which pairs you use and if you split the pairs, combine them etc.

Another huge con is workability, solid and stranded even can be prone to breaking off if soldered or connected to terminals. The sheath is not ideal at all, because it is a loose sheath and fairly thin it is very easy to cut or split (To strip it I use a thumbnail and rip), quite easy to burn through, can tend to kink or knot etc. etc.

Ideally you want a cable that is quite robust, yet pliable and flexible. Cat5e/6/6a/7 is not that cable.

I think even a generic shielded audio/microphone cable or similar would be fine and far more preferable.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 5
I wouldn't reccomend it, someone in the DIY Cable gallery tried it and was very disappointed.

Use the CAT5 for things like custom usb cables or something digital..  Analog are signals are much less wire tolerant.

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 5
It wouldn't be aluminium, only see that on MV/HV cabling. Steel is highly unlikely, you can get copper clad steel in cables but it would be extremely unlikely in a headphone cable. Doubtful it is silver as well. If it has a silver coloured appearance it would likely be 'tinned' copper.

it's a sliver like color :confused_face(1): IDT it's tinned copper
I had to resolder it when I got the cans. I cut some of the cable back and it was still a silver color (even in the center)
the stock cable sucks big time IMO

any tips one what to buy would be nice.
I'd like to use the stock cable shielding/sheath, if that was not the case I'd just use some the speaker cable I have, (to thick)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back