will AT-M50 fit my music?
Oct 13, 2011 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

007noob007

New Head-Fier
[size=10pt]is Audio-Technica ATH-M50 good for the music i like?[/size]
[size=10pt]i like rock such as AC/DC, gunz and roses, pink Floyd, disco panic.[/size]
[size=10pt]i like folk, jazz, Irish music, western music, some hip hop, and classical music.[/size]
[size=10pt]as you can see I like a lot of types of music. i like to hear every thing clear, every "side voice"[/size]
[size=10pt]like in this song:[/size]
[size=10pt]"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpZjvbSC9_M&feature=related"[/size]
[size=10pt]I want to hear every sound super clear (there are tons of instrument in this song.. that you can barely hear! I want to hear all of them! apart!)[/size]

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 13
I personally disliked its performance with classical. Soundstage is dreadful. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #4 of 13
its or the M50 or the agk K420...

i barrly have 150 dollars... the M50 is deffently the top of my bodget. if you can think of any thing better then them. tell me

(the k420 are only in case i wont be able to get the money in time)

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
[size=10pt]is Audio-Technica ATH-M50 good for the music i like?[/size]
[size=10pt]i like rock such as AC/DC, gunz and roses, pink Floyd, disco panic.[/size]
[size=10pt]i like folk, jazz, Irish music, western music, some hip hop, and classical music.[/size]
[size=10pt]as you can see I like a lot of types of music. i like to hear every thing clear, every "side voice"[/size]
[size=10pt]like in this song:[/size]
[size=10pt]"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpZjvbSC9_M&feature=related"[/size]
[size=10pt]I want to hear every sound super clear (there are tons of instrument in this song.. that you can barely hear! I want to hear all of them! apart!)[/size]

Heya,

No.

The M50 has no sound stage, has a metallic harsh treble, recessed mids and too much bass for an "all around" headphone to cover things like Pink Floyd and Classical and Rock. Those genres need mids. The M50 doesn't represent that well. I'm being a little exaggerative with it, but still, it's just not a great headphone. It's completely over-hyped.

Instead, in the same category, look at the Shure SRH840.

Or, look at the following suggestions:

Fischer Audio FA-003 (closed), FA-002 (open), FA-011 (open, bassy)
Beyer DT880 PRO (open), DT770 PRO (closed), DT990 PRO (open, bassy)
Denon D2000 (closed)
Sennheiser HD595 or HD598 (open)
AudioTechnica AD900 (open)
AKG K240 MKII (open)
Ultrasone HFI 2400 (open), PRO 750 (closed)

Very best,

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 13
Sure, the M50 will do everything up to and including cure cancer and eliminate the national debt. If you've been hanging around Head-Fi you should know these things...

Actually I never listened to it, so I couldn't say either way. But I can recommend the HD-598, Shure SRH-840, and Grado SR-225. Those are pretty good in that price range and run nicely from any source. If you have an old stereo receiver on hand or plan on getting a headphone amp, you can buy a HD-600 for $200 used. That is far and away the best headphone you can get for 0.2K but it requires amplification. Another way to go would be a STAX SR-001 set. They are miniature portable electrostatic headphones...hard to get a good ear seal, but great sound and portable as well. Actually, they are really uncomfortable, but the coolness factor is just so much higher than some mid-fi dynamic cans.

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Heya,

No.

The M50 has no sound stage, has a metallic harsh treble, recessed mids and too much bass for an "all around" headphone to cover things like Pink Floyd and Classical and Rock. Those genres need mids. The M50 doesn't represent that well. I'm being a little exaggerative with it, but still, it's just not a great headphone. It's completely over-hyped.

Instead, in the same category, look at the Shure SRH840.

Or, look at the following suggestions:

Fischer Audio FA-003 (closed), FA-002 (open), FA-011 (open, bassy)
Beyer DT880 PRO (open), DT770 PRO (closed), DT990 PRO (open, bassy)
Denon D2000 (closed)
Sennheiser HD595 or HD598 (open)
AudioTechnica AD900 (open)
AKG K240 MKII (open)
Ultrasone HFI 2400 (open), PRO 750 (closed)

Very best,

M50 has slightly more mids than D2000 does imo.  That's not to take away from the D2000, because it bests the M50 in literally everything, but the D2000's mids are slightly less forward.

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:

M50 has slightly more mids than D2000 does imo.  That's not to take away from the D2000, because it bests the M50 in literally everything, but the D2000's mids are slightly less forward.

I don't agree. The bloated bass on the M50 bleeds into and distracts from the mids. The D2000 on the other hand is flat and the bass doesn't take over the mids, so you can hear them just fine, even if they're slightly recessed. It's a way better rounded can.

Very best,

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 13
i need some ting closed.. not more then 150 (even 170 is to much!)
and i need it to not need an amp.. beacuse im gonna use it in the bus and in school....

the tings that you game me usualy need an amp... (i liked the dt 700 pro[size=1.1em] [/size] but they need an amp) or are just to expenisve... or are uncoferble (the shure srh440 looked good till it was told to be uncomferble, with is importent to me beause i listen to music alot)

pleaz look at this post (that no one got into...) and tell me what will fit me and my music
http://www.head-fi.org/t/575662/the-appropriate-headphones-for-me#post_7818321

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 13
Tell you the truth, their are tons of biased people on this forums. Test them out yourself and see. Personally love my m-50s over many headphones i've owned including my pro-900s im trying to get rid off. I personally don't think the m-50s are over hyped, because I feel like it does many things right now that ive owned and tried other headphones. Everyone has different taste just like food, clothing, art, movies the list goes on, headphones are the same. Find a headphone store or music center in your area that allows you to try headphones out. Don't make a decision based on what people tell you here.

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 13
What about the Ultrasone HFI-580? It's a good alternative in that price range IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back