Will an in-line attenuator degrade sound quality?
Aug 19, 2006 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

drxpert

Head-Fier
My LD2+ is too loud. Using the DT990s, I never turn the knob past 8 o'clock. However there's noticeable channel imbalance at low volume levels. The Rothwell 10db attenuators might solve the problem, but I'm concerned that they would degrade sound quality. Has anyone had experience with them or other in-line attenuators?

Aug 19, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by drxpert
My LD2+ is too loud. Using the DT990s, I never turn the knob past 8 o'clock. However there's noticeable channel imbalance at low volume levels. The Rothwell 10db attenuators might solve the problem, but I'm concerned that they would degrade sound quality. Has anyone had experience with them or other in-line attenuators?

Not sure if it will degrade sound quality... since thats subjective. It may alter the sound though. My experience is that adding impedence seems to smooth out highs and upper mids.

Might want to consider lower gain tubes or a source with lower line output.

Aug 19, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 6
Yea, what I'm concerned with is sound alteration. I'd be really interested in getting an attenuator that doesn't change the sound in any way, so there'd still be a use for it even if I change equipment.

Aug 20, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 6
Shouldn't be a channel imbalance as you turn the volume down.

Adding another gain control in the signal path is sure to degrade sound to some degree.

Sounds like you need to replace the volume attenuator in the amp - upgrading perhaps.

Aug 20, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Not sure if it will degrade sound quality... since thats subjective. It may alter the sound though. My experience is that adding impedence seems to smooth out highs and upper mids.

You sure you're talking about the same thing here? He doesn't intend to attenuate after the headphone out, but before the line-in of the amp. So there's no change of impedance between headphone and amp...

drxpert: If any, I'd only expect an insignifant, almost unnoticable deterioration of sound quality. However, the price seems rather hefty. If you can solder, why don't you build your own custom interconnect and just solder in those two crummy resistors per channel for voltage division yourself? That would even be the theoretically superior solution, 'cause there'd be one transition less...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 20, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 6
HeadRoom sells inlines that are good and cheap. Get the biggest ones and no there won't be a sound degredation. Yes pots absolutely have tracking problems below 9 o'clock with the exception of most stepped attenutaros but they have a whole other list of issues down low
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back