Will an android TV box with an optical output pass-through 24-bit audio?
Aug 29, 2015 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

professorwiki

New Head-Fier
I want to use the android media box I have with the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D2 DAC that I have on the way. The android box has an optical output. It runs 4.4.2 and is not capable of being upgraded to later android versions, which may be a problem. I found out that pre-lollipop android didn't support 24-bit audio or sampling frequencies above 48 Khz (it may have even been 44.1 Khz, can't remember at the moment). Would this matter if I am just passing the audio through over optical to be decoded by the DAC? I'm most likely going to use Kodi (formerly XBMC) to play the music files. If the android box is still going to downsample sampling frequencies above 48 Khz, this would be a problem for me and I'll have to find another solution. Even if there's debate if the 24 bit, 88.2/96/192 Khz formats are really better than redbook audio, I don't want the hardware in the box or the android software doing any kind of processing to the audio because it might introduce errors and mess with the sound. 

Thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back