will an amp increase an ipod's battery life?
Apr 18, 2006 at 11:58 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
According to some (fairly respectable) fellas round here, the ipod (5g) line out is basically the headphone out at 90% max volume or something.

I second to this. I can hear little difference between the headphone and line out on my 5G.

Apr 18, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #17 of 19
Running some quick numbers here making a few assumptions -
10 hours average run time
1300mAh battery
= 130mA average current draw

1v rms constant output
32ohm (headphones) and 10k ohm loads (amplifier)

The 32 ohm load uses ~25% of the total battery power
And the 10k ohm load uses 0.8%

These are real quick and dirty numbers here, only really points out the difference in power used between headphone and amps and also it is probably grossly excadurate the 1v output as that would be very loud for headphones, I only picked it as it was easier to work out and reducing that by 4, to 0.25V shifts that value down to only 6% of the battery power used by the headphones, but it is still quite clear that 6% is significantly higher than 0.8%

And for amplifiers, the difference between having the ipod turned down instead of full volume basically wont save you any battery at all that you could ever notice, and the loss of dynamic range is probably harming the sound quality in the process, so run the source at full volume into your amps and do the control there

Apr 22, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
Yes, an amp WILL help an iPod...as long as you mean out of the headphone jack. I have personal proof: if you plug in your iPod to, say, a regular 2.1 speaker thing (computer speakers, y'know), turn it very low, but amp it high w/ the speaker knob, of course your iPod battery life will be much better, because really the speaker is outputting the main volume.

Sure, but if you turn it up as 2426 said, then the iPod's battery life will probably drain quicker.

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #19 of 19
If you use a Line Out Dock from an iPhone/iPod to connect to an external DAC/AMP wouldn't the battery life of your iDevice be better since the external DAC is doing the converting as well as powering your headphones?

I have run my iphone straight to my headphones and notice the battery life going down as much as one would expect while listening to music. And then I ran my iPhone through the LOD to the DAC to my headphones and noticed much better battery life on my phone because i assume then the portable DAC is doing most of the music playing work. Is this correct or am I just seeing things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back