Will an amp actually improve my sound?
May 2, 2015 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

G3ck0

New Head-Fier
Currently using ATH-AD900x's with a Fiio e10k... would buying a Schiit stack actually have any noticeable improvement? I'm confused as to whether the Amp/DAC is useful for headphones like mine, or only for headphones that require more.

May 2, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 5
When I owned a Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2, I heard little to no difference between using the stack or my laptop's headphone jacks, except for harder to drive headphones that need a lot of power. It's hard to predict what differences (if any) you will hear, but I think it's more likely that there won't be much difference.

May 2, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 5
It would be a better idea to spend more on your headphones than your amp and DAC. A headphone upgrade will almost always give you the most improvement. I just use a Schiit Fulla now. I've even used it with 600 ohm headphones! I only plan on upgrading my amp and DAC after I have a few ultra-high-end headphones.

May 2, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 5
If you planning on keeping the A900X for a long time then something as simple as the schiit fulla would be more then enough for the A900X as they are easy to drive headphones and benefit more from a better source. If you was planning on moving away from the A900X in the future then having a schiit stack would be worth it as you be all set when you move to your next headphones. Mostly if your not happy with your Fiio then there no reason to keep it and just switch from it if that will make you happy as that whats really matters in the end.

May 4, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 5
It depends on the source. My laptop's got a not-so-great sound card, so an external amp/DAC is an improvement with pretty much anything.

Like others have said, you'd probably get more improvement from getting a better pair of headphones first. The E10K is likely more than adequate for your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back