Will Adjusting a song's playback volume in itunes prevent clipping distortion from ipod eq settings?
Dec 9, 2008 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

k2snowboards88

Head-Fier
I've been trying to use the bass booster eq setting on my iphone and ipod. Of course this causes clipping errors with albums that are mastered in the upper range of loudness. In itunes i can right click on a song or group of songs and set the playback volume to anywhere from -100% to +100%. When i sync a song with a volume adjustment to my ipod, the ipod does respect this setting and play at an adjusted volume. Now if i set all my albums to 90% or lower will i then be able to apply the bass boost setting without the distortion that comes from clipping? or does the change in volume come after the eq setting and not affect anything? Thanks for any input, especially from some of the people on here who know ipods and itunes inside out.

ps. the reason why i want to use bass booster is because i have the er-4p headphones. When i play at loud volumes i like the eq off and i like the direct even presentation they give me. I don't always want my headphones loud though and when i listen at low volumes (to save my ears) i prefer the bass booster setting because it makes the sound more "full" without increasing the higher ear damaging frequencies.

Dec 9, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a very cheap $8.50 Fiio E3, or ~$20 on the Fiio E5.

They create hiss with low impedance headphones such as the etys. I also prefer to not carry any more clutter.

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 8
it should work, why don't you try it out?

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 8
I tried this on my 2nd gen nano and it didn't work. Still had the same clipping, just that the track was then quieter..... I think the volume adjustment on the ipod is done after the eq phase.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 8
What exactly does aacgain do to the files? Is it a lossless process and does it work with alac and mp3 also? Is it a mac compatible program?

I heard that sound check works to get rid of the clipping, but I hate having the songs volume all equalled out. Some songs at supposed to be louder than others. If there was a way to attach forced sound check tags to all the songs somehow you could make sound check think all your songs are supposed to be 10db lower. That way the songs' relative volumes would not be changed. Is there any way to do that?

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #8 of 8
aacgain is lossless yes but not the easiest to use app. i have used it in osx (that is what i have) as a command line for a small amount of my files but not my entire library. you can choose it to copy rather than replace so you can have backups if you are worried.

sound check is more of a normaliser and is not lossless but it is not detrimental to the songs by any chance and is reversible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back