Will a Sound Blaster Z suffice as a DAC? And can be used with amp?
Mar 8, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #16 of 29
  That would mean in theory it should work? I'm just used to surround sound but I know to avoid those "5.1" and "7.1" headphones.

AFAIK it should work but I'm more familiar with how people just get the virtual surround encoded 2.0 audio out from the card as a digital signal and then processed by an external DAC and amp.

At the moment I'm thinking I could stretch my budget for a Vali 2 and Modi 2 Uber, and sell/upgrade my headphones just a little ways down the line. They come out to $335 shipped, but I don't mind stretching my budget as long as I feel it's worth it.

EDIT: Oh wait, I think I got them switched around, it was the Magni 2 Uber you guys mentioned not the Modi 2 Uber. That might be an extra $50 I could save. 

Modi2 Uber is the DAC, which can take a signal from the soundcard's DSP already with the tweaks encoded (includign virtual surround), then send the analogue signal output to either a Vali2 or a Magni2 (Uber) or any other amp.

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #17 of 29

AFAIK it should work but I'm more familiar with how people just get the virtual surround encoded 2.0 audio out from the card as a digital signal and then processed by an external DAC and amp.

Modi2 Uber is the DAC, which can take a signal from the soundcard's DSP already with the tweaks encoded (includign virtual surround), then send the analogue signal output to either a Vali2 or a Magni2 (Uber) or any other amp.

Right, I knew it was the DAC, just for some reason woke up this morning and mis-remembered thinking I needed the Uber version of the DAC rather than the Uber version of the amp. The Modi 2 Uber has extra inputs as far as I can tell but not sure I need them.

Can my Klipsch Promedia speakers actually be hooked up somehow to the pre-amp outputs on the Magni 2 Uber/Vali 2? It has an output for both L/R channels, but the speakers are actually connected to the sound card via a single 3.5mm jack which comes from the subwoofer (which is what the speakers are connected to). I wouldn't mind replacing them with some decent bookshelf speakers at some point, but assume I need a receiver to actually drive them.

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #18 of 29
  The Modi 2 Uber has extra inputs as far as I can tell but not sure I need them.

If you get the regular Modi2 then you only get USB, which completely bypasses the soundcard. That means any virtual surround program that you use needs to be done software level by the CPU without a dedicated DSP chip on the soundcard or motherboard - like Razer Surround or those built into games that have headphone-specific audio.

Can my Klipsch Promedia speakers actually be hooked up somehow to the pre-amp outputs on the Magni 2 Uber/Vali 2? It has an output for both L/R channels, but the speakers are actually connected to the sound card via a single 3.5mm jack which comes from the subwoofer (which is what the speakers are connected to). I wouldn't mind replacing them with some decent bookshelf speakers at some point, but assume I need a receiver to actually drive them.

Looks like you'll need adapters as the Klipsch uses proprietary cables. It terminates into a male 3.5mm so you can just look for a 2xRCA male to 3.5mm TRS female cable.

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #19 of 29
What I would do is get a Schiit stack, Objective 2 DAC+AMP or really any well recommended DAC and AMPs that fit your price point and enjoy. When playing games need surround sound, either do it by software/encode with sound card if possible, or plug in cables from the sound card into the amp and use the soundcard as the DAC. 

The Schiit uber editions have more features, and the magni 2 uber also has slightly more power. If you do not need the features save yourself the money and buy the base model. 

As for the Vali, make sure you like the tube sound before purchasing. In addition, always expect more cost, since the stock tubes for tube amps usually aren't the best out there. I spent more on tube rolling than my Little Dot 1+ tube amp itself just to find the perfect match for me. However, I do not see the point of going with a tube since you listen to music with speakers.

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #20 of 29

If you get the regular Modi2 then you only get USB, which completely bypasses the soundcard. That means any virtual surround program that you use needs to be done software level by the CPU without a dedicated DSP chip on the soundcard or motherboard - like Razer Surround or those built into games that have headphone-specific audio.

Looks like you'll need adapters as the Klipsch uses proprietary cables. It terminates into a male 3.5mm so you can just look for a 2xRCA male to 3.5mm TRS female cable.

Does TRS mean 3.5mm? I found some cables on Amazon (and Walmart of all places) like that, but they don't specify TRS anywhere, just 3.5mm.

Alternatively, after some googling, I'm almost kind of thinking about replacing the Promedias with something like the HiVi D1080's (as a separate project budgetary wise). I didn't actually realize higher end versions of those type of speakers existed.

Thank you for all the help, by the way. 

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #21 of 29
I'm using the Soundblaster Z's optical output to my DAC and it retains the DSP surround functionality.  It's great!  You can of course use the internal DAC and just add an amp.  I vote anything Schiit.

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #22 of 29
  Does TRS mean 3.5mm? I found some cables on Amazon (and Walmart of all places) like that, but they don't specify TRS anywhere, just 3.5mm.

Alternatively, after some googling, I'm almost kind of thinking about replacing the Promedias with something like the HiVi D1080's (as a separate project budgetary wise). I didn't actually realize higher end versions of those type of speakers existed.

Thank you for all the help, by the way. 

TRS (stereo) plug (1/8", 3.5mm or 1/4", 6.35mm) is two positive channels (usually right and left channel) and one ground channel.
(TRS) stereo is usually the default type of 1/8" 3.5mm plug, unless otherwise specified.

TS plug (mono) is just one positive channel and one ground channel and is usually a 1/4" 6.35mm plug, never seen a TS (mono) 1/8" 3.5mm plug.

There are also TRRS plugs (right, left, ground, mic), which includes an extra channel for a microphone.
Usually it's a 1/8" 3.5mm plug.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #23 of 29

They're the same thing - TRS comes in 3.5mm and 6.3mm. Amazon comes up with both types when I searched for it.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=TRS

Originally Posted by Valend /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had the D1080MkII-08 and it can pound out more bass than a lot of 2.1 speakers.

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #24 of 29

Monoprice 5" studio monitors, normally $170, on sale for $136
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605500

The Monoprice 5" studio monitors are basically relabeled M-Audio BX5 studio monitors
(the BX5 use to sell for $250 a pair)

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #25 of 29

Monoprice 5" studio monitors, normally $170, on sale for $136
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605500

The Monoprice 5" studio monitors are basically relabeled M-Audio BX5 studio monitors
(the BX5 use to sell for $250 a pair)

Better buy than the Swan products? Sounds like it, just rather curious how they compare

EDIT: Did notice the Monoprice speakers have a better S/N ratio than the D1080-IV's

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #26 of 29
  Better buy than the Swan products? Sounds like it, just rather curious how they compare

EDIT: Did notice the Monoprice speakers have a better S/N ratio than the D1080-IV's

Yes, better. But note that it's more critical to have a preamp output from whatever they're plugged into since the Monoprice are symmetrical active monitors, ie, each cabinet has an amplifier and gain control/s. The Swans can be used with no preamp control as it's a Master-Slave design - amplifiers all built into the Master speaker with one volume knob (plus "tone controls," which might just be tweeter and midwoofer gain controls) and then a passive slave.

That said it all depends on where you are. One reason why I got the Swans-HiVi speakers over the Monoprice is because I only spent $10 on fuel driving to and from the store. If I  get the Monoprice I'd have to ship it. In your case, if both are going to be shipped and you're getting an amp with a preamp output anyway, get the Monoprice.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #27 of 29

The Monprice studio monitors come with two amplifiers built into each unit
One amp for each woofer and one amp for each tweeter (inside a single studio monitor)
While the D1080 at most has one amplifer driving each unit, so the woofer and tweeter share an amp.

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #28 of 29

While the D1080 at most has one amplifer driving each unit, so the woofer and tweeter share an amp.

It doesn't state separate power output for the tweeters and midwoofers, but specs list that it has active crossovers (which comes before the amp, unless there's another implementation of an active crossover that's like a passive unit), plus a 4pin Master-Slave connection, so it might be a four channel amp in the Master speaker sending out a High Pass +, High Pass -, Low Pass +, Low Pass - signal to the Slave unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back