Will a smartphone like a Samsung Galaxy S3 sound as good as an iPod Touch?
Jan 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mindstormer

New Head-Fier
Will a smartphone like a Samsung Galaxy S3 sound as good as an iPod Touch? I was thinking of getting the smartphone, but I don't know if it will be a complete replacement if it doesn't sound as good as the iPod Touch. Thoughts? I wouldn't mind carrying both if the iPod Touch sounds better.

Thanks!

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Will a smartphone like a Samsung Galaxy S3 sound as good as an iPod Touch? I was thinking of getting the smartphone, but I don't know if it will be a complete replacement if it doesn't sound as good as the iPod Touch. Thoughts? I wouldn't mind carrying both if the iPod Touch sounds better.

Thanks!

If you're just planning on using the headphone-out, then the Touch would sound better.

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 6
Flac files sound way better on my Galaxy II than anything on my Ipod.

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Flac files sound way better on my Galaxy II than anything on my Ipod.

What iPod do you have? And are you comparing the iPod with ALAC on it? 

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 6
My old (~2004) iPod sounds significantly better than my iPhone 3GS, Samsung Nexus, or (current) Motorola Droid Razr MAXX. The cell phones were all relatively noisy. Of course the streaming services on the phones may have biased my opinion. Rhapsody, Pandora, etc., are all compressed whereas my iPod is mostly filled with Apple Lossless files. Still, I have some WAV files on my Razr and they still don't sound as good as anything on the iPod.

In fact, I'm planning to get another iPod while they still make them.

Bottom line: the only advantage a smartphone has over an iPod for music is the ability to get any music you want anywhere, which is nothing to sneeze at. Sound quality -wise though, there's no contest. Maybe the Galaxy 3 is an exception, but I doubt it. The iPod is still a Stereophile recommended component. No cell phone is.

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 6
My iPod touch sounds a lot better than my iPhone 4 and also better than a 5 I tried. With the phone's there's quite a lot of hiss using my V Sonics, which gives me a headache if nothing's playing.

I'd have to try an S3 I got to compare it, but I don't expect it to be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back