Will a separate sound card make a noticable difference?
Jun 1, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #16 of 18
Jun 1, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #17 of 18
But what's "it?" How did you make that determination?

I used a freeware audio editor called Audacity, used it's normalization filter, and normalized to -3db. Usually I would normalize to 0db (the loudest it can get) but the recorded audio was kind of hot so it was safer to give a few db of headroom. They were all recorded at the same level, and normalized the same. You are hearing what the analog out sounds like with volume all the way up and wasapi out. Same song, same program, same WASAPI mode for all 3. The only differnce is which DAC was being used. Nothing else in the audio chain, or the recording was changed.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #18 of 18
I used a freeware audio editor called Audacity, used it's normalization filter, and normalized to -3db. Usually I would normalize to 0db (the loudest it can get) but the recorded audio was kind of hot so it was safer to give a few db of headroom. They were all recorded at the same level, and normalized the same. You are hearing what the analog out sounds like with volume all the way up and wasapi out. Same song, same program, same WASAPI mode for all 3. The only differnce is which DAC was being used. Nothing else in the audio chain, or the recording was changed.

Some of the guys from the sound science sub forum who know much more than I are trying to help you figure out what you did wrong back in your original thread about your tests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back