Will a POT still affect sound if inputs come after?
Dec 20, 2004 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Garbz

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm just wondering since i'm planning to use a different pre-amp with my headamp how to wire it all.

As we all know POTs are right up there with Electrolytics as far as affecting sound goes, so ideally one less pot in the signal is a good thing. What i'm thinking of doing is wiring a pre-in just after the pot i.e. on the pot's output pins.

If I do this will the pot still affect the signal in anyway? As in will it still introduce crosstalk? Also is there any way to get rid of this like crank the pot (which souldn't affect the volume) all the way up or down?

Dec 20, 2004 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 4
The pot's still there as a cheezy resistor bridging audio in L,R to audio in ground, right? Every switch contact costs us, but I'd guess that putting in a switch to cut out the pot would be worth it. The dead end you leave dangling is at worst a poor antenna, no noise from resistors flapping in the current wind.

Worse, doesn't this affect input impedance? You either need (10K, 25K, 50K) resistance or you don't, depending on what you intend to plug into this bypass. If you need it, I'd wire a DPDT switch that swaps out the pot for some clean-sounding expensive resistors.

Dec 21, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 4
If you keep the pot and have the input signal on the output of the pot and also turn the pot to minimum volume then your input impedance will be zero ohm.
That will probably not be nice to your soundsource.

Using a DPDT switch to select between pot or direct input is much better, but that will leave a switch in the signal path at all times, and the switch itself will degrade sound quality, but perhaps less than the volume pot.

Dec 21, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 4
So what about putting the volume at maximum. Even though it won't affect it the source will then be loaded at 50k.

Btw does the pot turned all the way down in a normal config also affect the source this way? If so wouldn't it be smarter to apply a 50k load to gnd before the pot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back