Will a portaphile 2.0 or Prelude audio symphony power HD600's?
Feb 16, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 9
I'll let you know what I find when the Prelude gets here in the next few days!

Edit: I got the Senn's today. I have 2 C-moys, but have not received the Symphony II yet. Interestingly, the "cheap" home-made cmoy that I bought on ebay does an amazing job of powering the hd600's. The other, professionally made cmoy, using the same 2227 op amp, is driven into clipping very easily with these phones. I'm not sure what differences in parts selection or construction accounts for this difference, but it is definitely there.
Can anyone offer any insight into this disparity?
confused.gif

I'll still follow up re the Prelude when I get it. BTW, I like the Senn's a lot!

Feb 17, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 9
Ok, quick answer, based on first preliminary listen: OH YEAH, the Prelude II can definitely drive the hd600's! With absolutely no break in time on either, the sound is quick, authoritative, detailed and open. The amp seems to have lots in reserve, and plays quite loudly if asked, with seemingly pleny in reserve--never sounding stressed at any level I care to listen at, and I like rock and blues!
I expect changes as both the headphones and the amp 'burn in', but I'm encouraged that the combo sounds this good right out of the box.
The setup is slightly fidgety, with the "s-vhs" like cable feeding the input, but they include an RCA>Svid cable with the amp, and I purchased a mini plug>svid adapter cable, as an accessory, to run from my XM radio. This is the combo I am listening to right now. I will have to set it up in the "real" audio system tonight and hear how it sounds with uncompressed audio....I expect a lot, given what XM is now sounding like! I am surprised to hear the rasp of trumpets, and the "flange" of synths with as much detail as I am hearing--especially from XM!

That's enough for now.....more later.

Anyone else have any experience with this amp yet?
k1000smile.gif

May 12, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 9
i'm curious ... anyone have any more thoughts on the presitge audio amps?

May 12, 2005 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AficionadoZone
Does anyone know if one of these portable amps will adequately power the hard to drive 600's?

Thanks,
Robert

I just finished 400 plus hours of burn in on a new pair of HD650s, and the Portaphile V2 drives them effortlessly. My AKG K501s are more demanding than the 650s requiring several points more volume, and they are also an excellent match for the PV2. The PV2 gets a clean, crisp, punchy, lively sound out of the 650s. BTW, the SR-71 is another great match for the Senns, giving less punch but more air, space and nuance, albeit for a higher price tag.

May 12, 2005 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AficionadoZone
Does anyone know if one of these portable amps will adequately power the hard to drive 600's?

Thanks,
Robert

I just bought the Portaphile V2. I don't think it is a problem, because the gain setting on the amp can be set to a rather high value. Just tell Caesar to set it to the value of your choice when you order your amp.
You should also mail him to find out more. He's been very helpful and patient in explaining the details of the amp to me.

May 12, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 9
Don't worry... now that the HD600s are no longer Senn's top-of-the-line, they're more easily powered by far less expensive amps
wink.gif

May 13, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Don't worry... now that the HD600s are no longer Senn's top-of-the-line, they're more easily powered by far less expensive amps
wink.gif

icon10.gif
Heheh... very astute observation. And I've noticed that the old HD580s are now so good that nobody feels they need an aftermarket cable like they did a few years ago.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back