Will a portable amp provide better bass sounds for iPhone 5?
Feb 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

koolzero

New Head-Fier
I am sure there are other threads like this, but I have searched a bit and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Basically, I have an iPhone with with several different in-ear sets. I hit the gym every morning and listen to metal and harder music ro dubstep which incorporates a lot of heavier and deeper bass. From there, I head to work and sit behind a computer jamming all day to mostly rock. I am not a huge fan of over-ear headphones because I don't want them to fall off while running and while lifting at the gym etc... I am using the standard Apple earpods and the Bose sie2i. I think they both have pretty good sound, but I am lacking the stronger bass overall. Currently I listen to mostly Pandora or Spotify to randomize my music selection and no eq will work on the iPhone for these apps. I will be switching back to my music library on my phone soon though and am purchasing Accudio. With all of this being said, I am not a basshead, but really want more bass to be produced. I can purchase different headphones or what not, but I was wondering if there is a particular portable amp that would assist with what I am looking for. I think the sound quality of my current in-ears are fine, but am not opposed to buying something else if needed. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance!

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 10
Try any or all of these, probably in order:

- The SonicMax player (this is the same tech that many recording studios use and which Cowon license for their iPod destroying players)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sonicmax-pro/id478366186?mt=8

..Just install, up the bass in the eq, play with the mach3 bass setting, etc. It's about $3 and may be all you need.

- Cheap bass oriented JVC Xtreme Xplosivs; expensive IEMs tend to die fast in gyms, plus you'll want something really comfortable and quick to remove instead of deep inserters like Etys.

- A cheap Fiio amp with a bass boost feature - is the e5 still the current model?

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 10
I may also end up going over ear and possibly picking up the XB500s. I am just not sure how well they would stay on during a workout. I have also looked at picking up several other in-ear but not sure which ones really provide good strong bass.

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
I may also end up going over ear and possibly picking up the XB500s. I am just not sure how well they would stay on during a workout. 

Those look like they would be Sweat Hell during a workout; I suspect you end up preying for them to come off. If you're working hard then IEM/ear bud > on-ear > over-ear. Ok - ymmv; if you have tried over-ears in the gym, that's different.

If you're willing to pay the price, then HD25-1-ii's are over-ears with excellent bass, outstanding toughness, and a military style split-band that stays on like glue - but I'd still use (cheap, shallow insertion) IEMs in the gym myself as a general rule, even though I know that the 25s will stay on even during kettlebell swings.

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

If you went cheap, do you think it would be worthwhile to pickup a FiiO e5/6 or e11?

The low end Fiio's are very good value for what you get. I certainly wouldn't buy a more expensive pocket amp unless you want to drive weird studio reference type headphones that aren't meant to be portable. The only reason I'd suggest trying the other stuff first is:

- The SonicMax and JVC's will probably give more and better bass than the Fiio, and the SonicMax is more controllable and does other stuff you may like. Plus you can download it right now and instant gratification = good

- They won't crowd your pocket in the gym with an extra box, which would tend to annoy me. That said, I'd get irritated by carrying even an iPhone in the gym, so I'd buy a tiny Sansa Clip (same sq, $30, size of a matchbox, very good bass when EQed with "Rockbox" and suitable IEMs) and use that. But that's just me - with working out with kettlebells then a phone sized player is likely to go flying off (expensively) into space sooner or later and is always distracting, so a mini player that clips to clothes is good. (For me.)

The good thing is that you have lots of ways of getting what you want, and they're all cheap.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 10
Just ordered a pair of the JVCs to see how they do. Perhaps they will surprise me (I hope). I have a very difficult time narrowing down what to put on my iPhone currently for music in the gym and to listen to daily since I am listening to music for roughly 6-9 hours a day. I also get bored but don't have a lot of time on my home machine to swap out the music which is the only reason I haven't gone with a shuffle or something similar. Thanks for the info and I will see how this goes :) I don't mind the items on my arm or in my pocket because I have been doing that forever. I thought about picking up an iPod classic from CL and grabbing the e6 as well with the JVCs or another pair. Just a matter of playing around with what I want and this seems to be a great place for information :D

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
I just realized there is a HA-FX3X and the FX1X. Which should I get? Should I send mine back?

They're both bass monsters and have those big cushiony gym friendly tips: I wouldn't sweat it. The 3 looks like the replacement for the 1, so if you got a 1 I hope you got a deal... but there probably isn't a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back