Will a non-audiophile embrace Sennheiser HD558 properly?
Jun 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tonyfang9

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow head-fi members,

I'm new to this audiophile world and I've been using the razer carcharias for quite some time and I can't believe I bought it. I'm planning on upgrading to something like the Sennheiser HD558, but will someone like me without a trained ear fully enjoy the headphones? I'll be using the headphones mainly for movies, music, anime, TV shows, voice chat, gaming and such. Will it really improve my experience that much more?

If not, what else should I get that is around $100? I'm going to university later in the year and I was wondering maybe something else is more suitable?

Thanks in advance for the insight!

(PS. I ask this because I can't find any places to try certain headphones out)

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 15
The HD-558 can lack dynamics and bass.  I suggest something like the Philips Cityscape Downtown, Creative Aurvana Live!, or the ATH-M50.

The ATH-M50 is the most hardy of the bunch and sounds the most neutral.  The Philips is an on-ear design with no sound leakage.  This headphone also has a very nice bass response.  Finall, the Creative Aurvana Live! sounds close to the ATH-M50, but is a little less durable with the benefit of lower cost.

If you do not mind wearing a large headphone even the ATH-AD700 is a better place to start than the HD-558 as it is built better and sounds a bit more open.  It leaks a little sound so keep that in mind.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 15
I prefer the HD558 to more "audiophile" headphones. I think it's a good can, and it's probably excellent if you consider the price/performance ratio. Yes, there's much better cans out there, but if you consider yourself "untrained" in regards to good sound, I am quite confident you would enjoy the HD558.

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
The HD-558 can lack dynamics and bass.  I suggest something like the Philips Cityscape Downtown, Creative Aurvana Live!, or the ATH-M50.

The ATH-M50 is the most hardy of the bunch and sounds the most neutral.  The Philips is an on-ear design with no sound leakage.  This headphone also has a very nice bass response.  Finall, the Creative Aurvana Live! sounds close to the ATH-M50, but is a little less durable with the benefit of lower cost.

If you do not mind wearing a large headphone even the ATH-AD700 is a better place to start than the HD-558 as it is built better and sounds a bit more open.  It leaks a little sound so keep that in mind.

Philips Cityscape Downton - I don't really like the on ear feel
Creative Aurvana Live! + ATH-M50 - Do closed headphones make audio not as natural though?

Citiscape uptown, mdr 7506, or akg k167. The k167 is my favorite of this bunch, with the uptown and 7506 being even. I'd recommend the k167.

So are the Sennheiser HD558 not worth the buy and these would be better for me?

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
If "audiophile" stuff sounded bad, no one would be one.

Sorry I didn't mean to make my thread sound as if I'm bashing on "audiophile" level headphones, but I'm just wondering for someone who doesn't have a trained ear for audio would be able to enjoy anything more expensive and awesome.

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 15
You have to tell us what you want. I don't know what u want. The 558 should be nice but it depends on what you like. K167, uptown, are nice choices for me. What kinds of music do you listen to? What sound signature?

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
You have to tell us what you want. I don't know what u want. The 558 should be nice but it depends on what you like. K167, uptown, are nice choices for me. What kinds of music do you listen to? What sound signature?

Sorry about that. I should've mentioned it, but here is some of the basic info of what I'd like:

Music: A little bit of everything, but mainly classical and piano songs.

Sound Signature: Not sure what a sound signature is, but I'm looking for a very natural sound that is clear so I don't have to turn up the volume too high (I'd like to protect my ears if I use the headphones for a long period of time). I'm not sure if closed headphones can still sound natural (I also heard it's sort of easy to feel heated from closed headphones, especially leather padded and that the sound bounces around inside the can)

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
Do you want emphasized highs, mids, lower mids, bass? Anything can sound natural, especially to people who don't have much headphone exp.

Oh man I've never thought about that. Uhmm I suppose I want a more balance sound. I'm not really a basshead so bass isn't my biggest concern. I heard though that open headphones seem like they come from the surroundings instead of closed where it's supposed to be more like obvious they're coming from the cans. And I fear that most closed headphones use leather padding so wouldn't it make my ears hot real fast? (This is probably one reason why I like the HD 558 with the foamy padding instead which is more porous)

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 15
Yes, closed cans have a smaller soundstage (most of em anyway) and sound more congested than open headphones, but they usually have much more bass and their bass extends far into the sub bass region. Open cans tend to roll off. This may be confusing you a little.

The 558 is open so it has a muuch wider and more realistic sound stage, though to some, the bass quantity is lacking. It should be a nice choice to get them, since your not all about the bass. The k167 may be more versatile but the overall natural effect won't be there as much. Plus they're not comfortable(to me).

HD558 should be a nice choice, and you should look into the ATH A900x. It's got a very good rep here on head-fi.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Yes, closed cans have a smaller soundstage (most of em anyway) and sound more congested than open headphones, but they usually have much more bass and their bass extends far into the sub bass region. Open cans tend to roll off. This may be confusing you a little.

The 558 is open so it has a muuch wider and more realistic sound stage, though to some, the bass quantity is lacking. It should be a nice choice to get them, since your not all about the bass. The k167 may be more versatile but the overall natural effect won't be there as much. Plus they're not comfortable(to me).

HD558 should be a nice choice, and you should look into the ATH A900x. It's got a very good rep here on head-fi.

Ohh awesome! I've heard good things about the ATH A900x as well, but I find the headband to be a bit weird and maybe wouldn't be as comfortable as the HD558?

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #14 of 15
I've only tried the ad700 and hd598. 598 was more comfortable, but not crazily. Ad70" has the same headband. Just use a hair tie and it works fine. That shouldn't be the deal breaker though.

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #15 of 15
I never thought of myself as an audiophile and still don't. I got HD558s because I love to listen to music, and also like to watch movies on my iPad. I enjoyed these headphones right from the beginning, but their quality and the fact that they sounded better than my lightweight HD218s took a bit of listening to develop. If you want strong bass the 558s aren't for you, but I find plenty of bass when it is needed. I have moved from using these out of an iPhone or iPad to listening through a Fiio E7 dac/amp and finally to an Aune T1 hybrid (part tube, part solid state). At each step I have found these cans to adapt to what I needed, in other words they have room to grow into, but after a couple of days I never wanted to go back to the little 218s. Do remember that these are open, and leak sound, but you can also hear things from the outside which I like, but you may not. By the way I got mine for $105 'refurbished' through Amazon, and they were truly good as new. Good luck in your search!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back