Will a male to male cable work the same as a LOD with an ipod
Jul 14, 2012 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Marshall969

New Head-Fier
I see LOD used a lot refering to a cable which as the ipod base connection and a 3.5mm jack.

Would a 3.5mm male to male cable do the same job? Straight into the headphone jack to a amp?

Also I am getting a t-amp with a red-white RCA input. So would I need a LOD then a Y cable? i.e. 3.5mm to red/white RCA?

Do Y cables lose quality transfering two signals into one?

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 9
When you're using an amp besides your ipod, you'll need a LOD the bypass the amp inside the ipod. The signal that the 3,5mm jack gets from the ipod is amped by the iPod and amped twice by your own amp, that's not the way. I think you also need the Y cable, because you have two outputs (red-white). I've never seen such a LOD, but maybe toxic cable can make one for you.

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 9
I've been doing a lot of searching on this issue myself. From what I gather if you have an amp, the line out audio signal is far superior to the signal that comes out of the headphone jack after it runs through the iPod's own internal amplifier.

If you use a line out dock, you get a cleaner analog signal to run to your amp.

For your RCA out issue the link below may solve your problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Line-Out-Audiophile-cable/dp/B004OV5E3Y/ref=sr_1_51?ie=UTF8&qid=1342552295&sr=8-51&keywords=ipod%2F+iphone+audio+line+out+dock

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 9
The most basic LOD will beat the most expensive 3.5 to 3.5mm interconnect.

The exception is with the iMod where it's rewired so that the line-out comes out the top.

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #7 of 9
That's a very nice solution if you want to use a mini to mini. I'm more an adorer of the LOD cable, because you can bypass you iPod and let the amp do the hard work. But that's just me.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #8 of 9
If you want to do a little DIY, you could make a LOD to RCA cable with no intermediate steps. Just run 2 ground wires rather than 1 that you could do with a TRS, and connect the RCAs as usual after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back