Will a Headphone Amp Help Me?
Dec 17, 2002 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gpalmer

We are the weird ones.
I have a portable Panasonic DVD Audio/Video/CD player and driving headphones (top of the liine Denon) I notice that the instruments are not as clearly delineated as I would expect. My home system is a ModWright modified Pioneer 38a with Sunfire Theater Grand III driving Legacy speakers.

What I notice is that on the Mozart piano concertos I am listening to at the moment I do not hear the piano distinctly when the strings rise in volume, at least not like I would on my home system, the whole thing tends to blur together. Will a headphone amplifier help or am I just being unrealistic about the performance I should expect? I just ordered a set of the Eth 4s and was thinking about the cosmic (I need this to be portable for work). Can anyone lend an experienced opnion?

Dec 17, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 6
palmer,

As a generalization increasing the quality of amplification gives better leading lines, which leads to a better sense of space between notes and performers. Choosing between tube and solid state affects how notes decay and tone. In your case I really do think an amp is a wise choice since the problems you're having scream "amp", but realize after you upgrade in that department you may find that you aren't getting the type of detail and clarity you may be looking with your headphone source.

Keep in mind that these are informed generalizations, I haven't spent much time with Etys (I find them very uncomfortable) and haven't heard your current headphones.

good luck,
carlo.

Dec 17, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks Carlos, I had a feeling I would need the amp to even have a chance of decent sound, especially since the sound seems rather "soft" in a way which I associate with cheap amps (rightly or wrongly). Now it's just a decision between tubs and solid state! :)

Greg

Dec 22, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks again Carlo,

I got the Etys in and they made a world of difference. The details are now there where they should be. Tonality isn't quite what I had hoped for, but it's at least listenable without me wanting to tear off my headphones and stomp on them. (Bass and lower midrange is still a bit light). The system sounds good enough though that I look forward to listening to it!

I just ordered a supermini amplifier to see what kind of effect that would have on the sound. If that works out well for portable use, I will get something nicer for home use.

Thanks for the help,
Greg

Dec 22, 2002 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 6
Greg,

Not a problem at all man, glad I was able to help some. Please keep posting and let us know the results of the new amp.
Quote:

The system sounds good enough though that I look forward to listening to it!

Well done, sounds like you're well on your way to assembling a killer rig
smily_headphones1.gif

best,
carlo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back