Will a good source make a difference ?
Jul 3, 2002 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Mr.T

New Head-Fier
In my system with Yamaha Stereo 2 channel receiver (Model :RX-396) 50x2 Min. Watts
and Mission 701 speakers will it make a noticeable difference between a $79 CD Player and a $1000 CD Player in my system ?

Thanks

Jul 3, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 16
My suggestion is that you grab your stash, find a local hi-fi store that would let you audition players with your equipment (yeah, speakers may be kinda hard to transport and plug, but the amp shouldn't be a problem), go there and try plugging it into different players. Hear and decide for yourself, shouldn't be too hard.

Most probably you'll notice the difference, especially because players is that price range tend to vary significantly in their performance, but only you can decide if you care about it enough. I kinda doubt you would be able to get satisfactory response from the people who have a different set of equipment and ears.

Jul 3, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 16
Yes

Jul 3, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 16
ofcourse it will make a difference from a $79 CD player to a $1000 one. I had a $100 sony and just upgraded to a $600 nakamichi and there was an imidiate difference. NOT EVEN CLOSE alot more air between insturments, lower lows, higher higs, more details. It felt alot more like being there than actually listening to a recording

Jul 3, 2002 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for the suggestions folks --- also BoardC3.. Yes very true but I consider my amp and speakers to be no more than Mid-Fi and thought that if a had REALLY high quality amp and speakers that going from a $100 Sony to $600 Nakamichi would make a HUGE difference... But with my system I was kind of skeptical on whether it would make much of a difference going from a $100 Sony to $600 Nakamichi (with the Yamaha receiver and Mission Speakers)... BTW what are you amp and/or speakers ?

Jul 3, 2002 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 16
ya but also im only using Grado SR-225's no amp so i would not call that a hi-fi system. just trust me its a great thing going from a really cheap source to a nice one.

Jul 3, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 16
also just thought i would suggest getting a used nakamichi off ebay because they have ones that were originally about 2000 going for under 2000 and it realy goes about a tenth of the price for all the Nak CD players. check review on the net first to find which one you want

Jul 3, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 16
If you are using a piece of string connected to a tin can as your transducer, you will not experience any difference between a $20K Linn CDP and a $70 Radio Shack portable CDP.

It's a matter of balance. Determine you budget in advance and build a *system*.

markl

Jul 3, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 16
Why is my Amp and/or Speakers like a string... I didn't think it was too bad kind of like Mid-Fi.. I think a $2K linn would be a huge step-up but I wouldn't be using it to it's full potential so It's probably not worth it.

Jul 4, 2002 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 16
Sorry, wasn't insinuating anything about your components as I am not all that familiar with them. Just trying to make the point that spending should be balanced across the system. You won't get the most out of an expensive component if the rest of your system isn't up to it.

markl

Jul 4, 2002 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 16
Not to discourage you from getting a new CD player or anything, just my gripe about upgrading.

Trust me, any unbalanced upgrade (say when the source or the speakers begin to outperform the amp by a wide margin or the other way around) is very frustrating. Been there, done that, hated it.

New source often disappoints, unless you're upgrading from `akaiwa` level. The investment is rather large, the results are often marginal.

New amp and/or speakers/phones help you realize that the rest of your system is ***** after you have blown all your money upgrading. As a result you target-fixate on the flaws and the more you listen, the more you hate those flaws. Just like those two hair-thin wires that support the mask in Sony Trinitron monitors slowly drive the people who start noticing them nuts. And you can't do anything about it.

Eh, I'm no help
wink.gif
. It's fairly easy to step-up from a 79.95 dollar source (hm, my portable is more than that...), but you probably shouldn't spend all you have on one. All depends on where you want to go from here and what is that you're not happy with in your current system.

Jul 4, 2002 at 7:10 AM Post #13 of 16
I don't think you can go wrong with a cambridge cd player....great for mid-fi setups, while still sounding good on hifi setups. You could also get the Music Hall CD25 which has a pretty good reputation.

Jul 4, 2002 at 7:21 AM Post #14 of 16
I also still have a 3xx-series Yamaha receiver - it's quite a good unit for the price. The Yamahas have a tendency to brightness, though, so I'd recommend a smooth player to go with it. Maybe a Rega Planet or something similar...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 4, 2002 at 9:28 AM Post #15 of 16
Ok for those who are wondering I have a cheap pioneer cd player... I don't know whether it's warm sounding or not... If the Yamaha Receivers are known to be a little bright then my system seems to sound neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back