Will a Fiio E09K make an improvement for my Fiio E7K dac/amp if all my HPs are easily powered (max 60ohm)
Jan 3, 2014 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Coach-Z

New Head-Fier
What can I expect if I add a Fiio E09K to my current rig of a Windows laptop running Musicbee with wasapi to a Fiio E7K through a USB cable.

The E09K adds more power as far as I can see, but all my headphones are 32 to 60 ohm impedance headphones and are able to play very loud on my E7K.

My last rig was an Aune dac/amp MK II SE and it had an abundance of power. I could easily tell the difference of the sheer amount of power going through my headphones, compared to my E7K, the sound was more full/richer than the E7K.

I listen to all types of music, but mostly blues and rock.

I'm currently using the following headphones:

Superlux HD681 - 32 ohm
Superlux HD681B - 32 ohm
Superlux HD668B - 56 ohm
Takstar Pro 80 - 60 ohm
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - 16 ohm
Sennheiser PX100 - 32 ohm

Its not being able to play louder I'm looking for, I guess its something more intangible, like the sound of excess power.... the sound was , like I wrote, just "fuller" on my Aune dac/amp than on my E7K.

Is there any reason for me to expect the same kind of fullness, if I add the Fiio E09K to my setup? 

Is this idea of fullness just that, an idea? is it a real thing or am I wasting my money?

Appreciate any and all information that you guys can give me.

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 13
It's a real thing in my opinion. Maybe try a small amp with tubes.. Like the schiit vali, yet it might be too noisy.
Whether it is worth it is another thing.. Quite individual.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 13
  What can I expect if I add a Fiio E09K to my current rig of a Windows laptop running Musicbee with wasapi to a Fiio E7K through a USB cable.
The E09K adds more power as far as I can see, but all my headphones are 32 to 60 ohm impedance headphones and are able to play very loud on my E7K.
My last rig was an Aune dac/amp MK II SE and it had an abundance of power. I could easily tell the difference of the sheer amount of power going through my headphones, compared to my E7K, the sound was more full/richer than the E7K.
I listen to all types of music, but mostly blues and rock.
I'm currently using the following headphones:
Superlux HD681 - 32 ohm
Superlux HD681B - 32 ohm
Superlux HD668B - 56 ohm
Takstar Pro 80 - 60 ohm
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - 16 ohm
Sennheiser PX100 - 32 ohm
Its not being able to play louder I'm looking for, I guess its something more intangible, like the sound of excess power.... the sound was , like I wrote, just "fuller" on my Aune dac/amp than on my E7K.
Is there any reason for me to expect the same kind of fullness, if I add the Fiio E09K to my setup? 
Is this idea of fullness just that, an idea? is it a real thing or am I wasting my money?

The E07K's headphone output impedance is around 1-Ohm :), where as the E09K has an output impedance of 10-Ohms, to technically the E07K is better for driving your current headphones, then the E09K.

I would think you would do better to sell off most of your headphones combine that cash with where you had budgeted for an amplifier and buy one pair of really nice headphones (ATH-AD900X?).

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #4 of 13
If I were to look for a new headphone it would be a closed back, so as to not annoy the missus to much :wink:... But for now I really like my Takstar Pro 80.

So what you're saying is that a "big" dedicated headphone amp like the E09K isn't necessary for my headphones low impedance headphones and that I wouldn't benefit from having it.

Does the advice go with all big headphone amps? Are they only really useful if you have headphones with an impedance of say, 250 ohm and more, compared to the small E07K then? I'm not talking about colorization here, just technically, will it do anything for the sound?

For now, I guess I'll stick with the E07K then, appreciate the feedback you guys.

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 13
I'd say, yes other amps can and will be better.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #6 of 13
  If I were to look for a new headphone it would be a closed back, so as to not annoy the missus to much :wink:... But for now I really like my Takstar Pro 80.
So what you're saying is that a "big" dedicated headphone amp like the E09K isn't necessary for my headphones low impedance headphones and that I wouldn't benefit from having it.
Does the advice go with all big headphone amps? Are they only really useful if you have headphones with an impedance of say, 250 ohm and more, compared to the small E07K then? I'm not talking about colorization here, just technically, will it do anything for the sound?
For now, I guess I'll stick with the E07K then, appreciate the feedback you guys.

To me the Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) are te best sound headphones for under $100.
A more powerful headphone amplifier might help with audio quality, but if your willing to spend twice as much as you would for the E09K, you can get some really nice sounding headphone that will work well with the E07K

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 13
I'm intrigued... Which amp(s) are you referring to?

/Coach-Z

"Sendt fra min bærbare fladskærm med tæppesnak!!"

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 13

Referrng to the E09K amp, which is more powerful then the amplifier built into the E07K.

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #9 of 13
Not amp, headphone, sorry

/Coach-Z

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 13
Misspelled before....

Which headphone for twice the money of what I would have paid for the E09K, are you referring to?

/Coach-Z

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #11 of 13

/Coach-Z

There are many options. For example, I find my x-can to give perceived sound quality a good notch up comparing to my e17 with just about any can (except dt770) that I have tried it with. That particular amp can be a bit noisy, though. And it's a tube hybrid, so that's  cheating after all 
cool.gif

Then there are the amps I have auditioned at various places, and I find that good amps does make a difference, yet it is not always worthwhile considering the price..

I can't really help you more than that as my experience is slightly lacking, but above is just my observations... Take it with a grain of salt.. 
DACs on the other hand, I find the differences to be fairly minor. As long as you have something decent.

Bah, whatever, now I realise this wasn't referring to my post. Well, take it or leave it..

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #12 of 13
Not amp, headphone, sorry

Audio Technica ATH-A900X headphones (used, $175)
With Hifiman Velour ear pads, $10+shipping

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 13
Appreciate the input, thanks.

/Coach-Z

Users who are viewing this thread

Back