Will a device like this exist soon?
Feb 5, 2006 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Alexhifi

100+ Head-Fier
I love things portable, and love them to do what they do WELL. Being the true tech head that I am, I have an Archos 420, an iPod 4th gen, a Sony PSP, and a 2 gig USB stick. In essence :

1. Archos 420 - can play almost all videos w/o transcoding. 20 gig drive.
2. iPod - makes for easy music listening. 20 gig drive. Use with UM2s.
3. Sony PSP - fast access to games (**emulators**, homebrew, PSP games)
4. 2 gig - carry it in my pocket for fast access to apps, etc that I need.

Now, to the meat - why can't I have a device that does all of these WELL? Ideally, I would want a PSP with better video codec support, a better joypad, a shock resistant harddrive, ext. memory stick, a powerful processor (like the 624Mhz CPU), and an OPEN SOURCE SDK. I would pay $600+ for this device.

Many would say "laptop" or "PDA". I say, laptop != portable and PDA != gaming device. I need something with no keyboard that I can easily hold in my hands. To me, the PSP is the closest device, but it's storage is no good, it's homebrew limited by Sony, and it wasn't really designed for people who have their own vids (like encoded Tivo programs, which is legal). Comments? Am I the only one?

-Alex

Feb 5, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 12
It costs money. There's no demand for such a product. It costs WAY TOO MUCH money for the amount of demand for such a product in the retail market. iPods are a mass-media thing, and many people buy them merely for show. Portable video players - I can see no use for them on anything but a train or an airplane. The PSP - most people who have a PSP are satisfied with its music and video capabilities, as they are gamers primarily. Many people have bought those extra-large 2gb media cards for the PSPs and felt just fine with them.

The point is that the audience for such a device would be small. It would turn even more people off due to its price. Many people have to decide if they want good gaming or good audio, because many can't afford to buy both. And, well, how COULD you carry around both? Most people would not want to look like you, with a different accessory shoved in each different crevice on their clothing
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Companies for the past three to four years have been stressing "multi"-media instead of "functioning". It's not the right step to go in. Hell, very few MP3 players even come without their glaring faults. I could tell you right now that I don't know one MP3 player that plays music PROPERLY (the iPod is a great example - where the hell is the gapless playback?). And video - many video players still fall short of the proper frame rate for their media. And game systems - the PSP and Nintendo DS, reportedly, still have problems utilizing seamless multiplayer capabilities and there have been reports of poor design and high return rates. One thing I can say about the PSP, however, is that it will be interesting to see how people react to the hard drive that is supposedly coming out very soon in the new PSPs, built in.

Feb 5, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
It costs money. There's no demand for such a product. It costs WAY TOO MUCH money for the amount of demand for such a product in the retail market. iPods are a mass-media thing, and many people buy them merely for show. Portable video players - I can see no use for them on anything but a train or an airplane. The PSP - most people who have a PSP are satisfied with its music and video capabilities, as they are gamers primarily. Many people have bought those extra-large 2gb media cards for the PSPs and felt just fine with them.

It's interesting that we can have niche markets everywhere else (like $5,000 headphones and $2,000 mini laptops), but we can't have a functional device like I suggested? I get caught in all sorts of places where I could use a 20 minute show or gaming. The PSP can do the job (not terribly well based on it's design), but 2 gig or even 4 gig is simply not enough. A variety of commercial/open source games and high quality videos are necessary.

Quote:

The point is that the audience for such a device would be small. It would turn even more people off due to its price.

Yet people pay these prices for a Pocket PCs. A lower end unit that can actually do video starts at $300. How about the 60 gig iPod video for $400? Archos and Creative sell expensive PMVs (Archos 500 - $450, Creative Zen Vision - $400). These are Amazon prices.

Quote:

Companies for the past three to four years have been stressing "multi"-media instead of "functioning". It's not the right step to go in. Hell, very few MP3 players even come without their glaring faults. I could tell you right now that I don't know one MP3 player that plays music PROPERLY (the iPod is a great example - where the hell is the gapless playback?). And video - many video players still fall short of the proper frame rate for their media. And game systems - the PSP and Nintendo DS, reportedly, still have problems utilizing seamless multiplayer capabilities and there have been reports of poor design and high return rates. One thing I can say about the PSP, however, is that it will be interesting to see how people react to the hard drive that is supposedly coming out very soon in the new PSPs, built in.

I agree and disagree with you. No product has truely been perfect, though they do there job quite well. I'm beginning to think the real reason such a device isn't made is because they wouldn't make much money on the games/movies like the PSP has and they are trying to keep the prices down. It is hard to swallow paying $600+ for a hand held device, but I did just that for a PDA many years ago...and I know many others that have as well.

BTW, where did you read about PSPs having harddrives? There is already a 4 gig drive attachment made (not by Sony). Sony has also said they are making 4 and 8 gig memory sticks (mad $$$$).

-Alex

Feb 7, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 12
when creative is muscled out of its patent on sorting systems by apple others will snatch it up. trust that it will not stay in "the private domain" haha.

after that, its a mater of the rockbox crew making a variant for the archos av4xx series, and releising the gameboy emulators.

its really a mater of apple doing all the muscke work aganst creative. and getting someone to implement rockbox on the archos.

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #5 of 12
It's not just a matter of money.

If you really want it all, you can have a small palm top computer like the OQO, which runs full Windows XP.

But as much as technology in computers, phones, audio, and video has progressed, the one technology that is falling far far behind is power.

The battery is the REAL limiter for the "perfect" convergence gadget.

You can cram everything but the kitchen sink into one device, but in the end, they will all be fighting for the same battery.

So unless you are willing to strap on a lot of batteries to your belt, you will have a device that will have very very short battery life.

The closest thing to what you want is more or less two devices. I am trying to limite myself to only two. I have combined my phone and PDA into one device. My music in another. But combining video and music into one at the level of quality I want and practical useability is still not there for me. I still have those crammed into my bag when I travel.

I am hoping to fit as much stuff into the "HUB" I am developing, but I probably won't be wearing it anywhere except for meets. Oh, yes, I will be wearing it to meets.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #6 of 12
This is the closest thing to the "all in one" gadget I can think of.

handtops_com-news-27-1.jpg

But the OQO has a pretty short battery life.

And to really expand it, will involve more dangling gear.

But with a WiFi card with Sprint Power Vision or another high speed wireless internet service, you can have internet on the go (whereever you can actually get a decent signal), and then you can have a VOIP service and have phone capabilities.

-Ed

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexhifi
1. Archos 420 - can play almost all videos w/o transcoding. 20 gig drive.
2. iPod - makes for easy music listening. 20 gig drive. Use with UM2s.
3. Sony PSP - fast access to games (**emulators**, homebrew, PSP games)
4. 2 gig - carry it in my pocket for fast access to apps, etc that I need.

This is the closest thing to my "perfect" device right now.

Edwood_PPC6700_08HF.jpg

My HTC PPC-6700

1. Video: Plays Divx, Xvid, and WMV files without Transcoding, with TCPMP Player. It's a bit stuttery but if I transcoded to the native smaller resolution it would be faster, but there is nothing like being able to drag and drop those files to my mini SD card and run with it.

2. Audio: Plays various audio files via built in Windows Media Player, and even more codecs with other players.

3. Games: Haven't really tried much with this one, but there are quite a few out there. Including emulators, NES ones being the most popular.

4. Storage: Can use miniSD cards. I have a 1GB one, and there are "affordable" 2GB ones available, with rumored support for 4GB cards in the future. Can't really hold a lot of video on a 1GB card, but a decent amount of lossy audio.

But when it comes down to it, I use my PPC-6700 primarily for communications. Which means phone calls, and email. I also use it for PDA functions too. Along with surfing the internet as well on the go.

-Ed

Feb 7, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #8 of 12
I'm not sure I agree with the battery issue, Ed. My Archos can play movies for 4 hours on a 3.8" screen off its harddrive. I don't think people will mind that sort of performance. I suppose the CPU could take up a lot of battery time, but an adjustable frequency could help a lot (kind of like AMD's "cool and quiet" technology). A balance will have to happen with the LCD size.

Your PDA is pretty cool and does get some of my "dream list", but misses in storage and actual game playability (just imagine playing Super Mario on that!). The OQO is a neat device as well...has just about everything, except a joystick.
smily_headphones1.gif
I guess one could hook up a USB joypad, but that kills portability - I believe it needs to be all in your hands. Too bad it's so expensive starting at well over $1,500.

If I HAD to choose 2 devices, I guess it would be the PSP and iPod. One is good at entertaining my eyes, the other my ears. I could load an hour or two worth of shows on my PSP as well.

Quote:

when creative is muscled out of its patent on sorting systems by apple others will snatch it up. trust that it will not stay in "the private domain" haha.

after that, its a mater of the rockbox crew making a variant for the archos av4xx series, and releising the gameboy emulators.

its really a mater of apple doing all the muscke work aganst creative. and getting someone to implement rockbox on the archos.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm hoping a quick response by you would save me having to look all over the place to piece this together.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Alex

Feb 8, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 12
How often do any of you actually use a device marked as a 'portable video player' anyhow? I can't find any instances where you would use such a thing, unless you're traveling on airplanes for work very often. Just use the PSP or whatever to play movies, and use the iPod. Or.. gasp, maybe you could even lay off of those pointless video games too and just enrich yourself with productive arts like music
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
How often do any of you actually use a device marked as a 'portable video player' anyhow? I can't find any instances where you would use such a thing, unless you're traveling on airplanes for work very often. Just use the PSP or whatever to play movies, and use the iPod. Or.. gasp, maybe you could even lay off of those pointless video games too and just enrich yourself with productive arts like music
wink.gif

Art is my profession, gadget's are my toys.

-Ed

Feb 8, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

I'm not sure I agree with the battery issue, Ed. My Archos can play movies for 4 hours on a 3.8" screen off its harddrive. I don't think people will mind that sort of performance. I suppose the CPU could take up a lot of battery time, but an adjustable frequency could help a lot (kind of like AMD's "cool and quiet" technology). A balance will have to happen with the LCD size.

Your PDA is pretty cool and does get some of my "dream list", but misses in storage and actual game playability (just imagine playing Super Mario on that!). The OQO is a neat device as well...has just about everything, except a joystick.
smily_headphones1.gif
I guess one could hook up a USB joypad, but that kills portability - I believe it needs to be all in your hands. Too bad it's so expensive starting at well over $1,500.)

-Alex

4 hours of power may be acceptable to some people, but throw internet and/or phone features and people want much much longer battery life.

My PPC-6700 pushes 12 hours of power with moderate to light use during the day on the standard battery. It's just barely enough for me, but somw people expect their phones and PDAs to last for days between charges.

-Ed

Feb 9, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Can you elaborate on this? I'm hoping a quick response by you would save me having to look all over the place to piece this together.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Alex

creative holds patents which it says apple has "violated" for the sorting systems they use.

nobody but apple and creative use these patented systems and this is why nobody but apple and creative have a worthwhile sorting system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back