Will a DAC improve sound quality by any significant margin?
Dec 5, 2015 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

windoge89

Head-Fier
I've been considering getting an external DAC to replace my Droid 4's internal DAC, specifically a Modi 2. But I'm not sure a better DAC will do anything for audible sound quality. Can someone enlighten me on the benefits of having an external DAC if any? At the moment I'm not experiencing any sort of interference or noise.

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 16
  I've been considering getting an external DAC to replace my Droid 4's internal DAC, specifically a Modi 2. But I'm not sure a better DAC will do anything for audible sound quality. Can someone enlighten me on the benefits of having an external DAC if any? At the moment I'm not experiencing any sort of interference or noise.

Your profile says that you own an ODAC.

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 16
  Whoops, that is incorrect. I bought an O2 a while ago and intended to get an ODAC soon after but found myself questioning its usefulness.

Get the Schiit Modi 2 Uber if you can.
It's a very good DAC for the money.

Next upgrade would probably cost you over 600 dollars.

It's hard to tell what's significant to you.
If you like your HD600 and your music, Modi 2 Uber is a good way to go at this point.

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 16
  Get the Schiit Modi 2 Uber if you can.
It's a very good DAC for the money.

Next upgrade would probably cost you over 600 dollars.

It's hard to tell what's significant to you.
If you like your HD600 and your music, Modi 2 Uber is a good way to go at this point.

But will it make any significant, audible difference? Or is it just to clean up an awful, interfering DAC?

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 16
  But will it make any significant, audible difference? Or is it just to clean up an awful, interfering DAC?

Hard to prove but yes, it will make a difference. Not sure if you'll be able to tell the difference apart under blind ABX test conditions since blind tests are difficult and require practice, but you should expect some improvements in the overall experience when doing critical listening.
Some guys on the objectivistic camp would say that you won't, but it's 150 dollars and you can find out for yourself.

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 16
  Hard to prove but yes, it will make a difference. Not sure if you'll be able to tell the difference apart under blind ABX test conditions since blind tests are difficult and require practice, but you should expect some improvements in the overall experience when doing critical listening.
Some guys on the objectivistic camp would say that you won't, but it's 150 dollars and you can find out for yourself.

I don't think I'll do a blind listening test, but I definitely will try a better DAC sometime.

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 16
  I don't think I'll do a blind listening test, but I definitely will try a better DAC sometime.

Blind tests are really tricky because they test your memory.
You can enjoy device A more than device B, even if you are not able to success in a blind test.

I prefer Modi 2 Uber over Fiio E10, both measure very well.
I've compared Fiio E10 with Modi2Uber + Asgard 2 (matched volume and blind) and preferred the Modi2Uber + Asgard 2
Same test with my brother, he preferred the Modi2Uber + Asgard 2 as well (matched volume and blind).

Recently an experienced listener was successful in a blind test involving ODAC and Modi 2.
He found the Modi2 to be superior.

This may not have statistical validity. Testing conditions always need to be revised and so on...
It's really hard to prove these things. I wish there were more people working on this kind of stuff.

As I said before, it will cost you 150 dollars or so, and you can always sell it later for similar money.

Dec 5, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 16

An ext. DAC and/or am; can offer significant improvements in many areas. Thats why people into music keep upgrading: b/c they find that with external or dedicated components (rather than a kind of all-in-one smartphone) they get not just more accurate tones, but less distortion, better sound staging of the musicians playing on stage, more dynamics sounds in the highs, mids, and lows (bass). 

And if a person is only using a smartphone to listen, its hard to see that they are not hearing ..... b/c they are not hearing it! (eg, more extended and punchy bass, more intimate vocals, or even just "faster' drumming). 

In fact going from a Droid to an external DAC/amp, it should be pretty clear what the improvements are when you listen to the external DAC. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #10 of 16
Given that we are talking about DACs, can someone tell me how much of an upgrade a Modi 2 Uber is over a Modi 2? I am running Magn2+Modi2 at the moment, but since I've grabbed a pair of W5000s, I've been wondering if my AMP+DAC set-up needs an upgrade.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #11 of 16
I recently upgraded my source. I had the original modi and just replaced it with the bit frost multibit. Sound improvements were enormous. More micro details, improved bass, wider soundstage. Just a better sounding Dac all around. I was one of those skeptics about the source upgrade philosophy. I now believe.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #12 of 16
The wow a novelty effect. "Magni + Modi is the best combo!! Oh **** no there are crappy, buy a X1, bang for the buck! Wait no this is a ****y one, I've found the Gustard H10, it is sooo cool. OK, stop everybody: I've the Melodious Audio MX-U8, no need for another device, this is the best I ever heard. Well, finally, not so good... OMG buy a 1700€ Audio GD Master 7 instead, really really cool."

This type of hype make a reasonnable music listenner doubtful and confused about this little boxes. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #13 of 16
These threads cause me to spend money.  

I have been listening to my new HE-400i with my Iphone 6 and think it sounds amazing.   The new headphones are much more detailed and precise.  I love it.  I don't know if it could get better.   

I have never tried it with a different dac/amp so don't know what I am missing and that is good for my wallet.   I have been ripping some of my CDs to apple lossless format and enjoying that too.  I have not listened to some of those cds for a decade so life is good right now.   I guess I just want to enjoy what I have for awhile before thinking about new hardware. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #14 of 16
I only share my own personal experience. I had the modi for quite some time and felt it was time to upgrade. I suggest to anyone before buying read impression threads and read reviews from more than one place on the web. Then it also depends on your budget and the headphones you have. If you have hi-end headphones they are probably being held back by say a 100 Dac. That's the fun part of this hobby, but it's not wallet friendly. Cheers

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #15 of 16
I own myself a Musical Fidelity V-DAC and a M2tech Hiface, plus my iBasso DX50 which can be use as DAC.

The DIY way seems a lot more wallet friendly, but there is generally no rigorous neophyte-friendly tutorial to build a USB interface-DAC. Example: http://www.raspyfi.com/building-my-reference-dac/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back