Will a DAC/HPamp help with my problem?
Nov 29, 2011 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

New Head-Fier
I've been listening to quite some MP3's on my laptop at work lately. I notice now that even files ripped at 320kbps sometimes sound distorted in the higher frequencies. Sometimes I get crackles almost as if I was listening to a, not so clean, vinyl record.
I think this might have to do with what the CPU is doing at that moment, although I notice it also when the laptop is only running Win MP. (and a browser to check my mails)
I was wondering if an external DAC/HPamp might solve this problem? Or could it be that it still is the quality of the MP3s? (even at 320kbps?)

I'm considering switching to some lossless format, but since disc-space is limited on my external USB drive I hoped it would still work out fine with MP3's of good quality. (I've even tried the original CD's and sometimes I get the same problems as with the MP3s, so I guess lossless might not be the solution)

I listen to all sorts of music. From pop to black metal. From classical to hard bop.
Currently I use Superlux HD668b headphones.(soon with AKG K240 velour earpads)

Nov 29, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #2 of 9
It is probably one of two things.

1.)  If you hear it on some tracks and not all it very well could be the tracks themselves.  Perhaps you are hearing poorly recorded music?  Try listening to Bonobo or Porcupine Tree and report back if you still hear the distortion.

2.)  The internal DAC in your laptop is distorting the signal.  In this case an external DAC could greatly enhance and most likely fix the issue.  I had similar issues when I first used my PC as a source.  Once I went to a Bithead and then the m903 I have not heard the same distortion since.  Some tracks will naturally have distortion in them from when they were mastered, but if you hear it on almost every track especially in the treble is is most likely the DAC or simply your headphones.

320kbps should be just fine for mp3's and they will not typically introduce distortion.  You can always try Foobar2000 and play your files there to eliminate the player.

Nov 29, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 9
It's not on all tracks. I tend to hear it better on tracks with better detail in the higher frequencies. The highs get grainy then. On other tracks there are clicks.
I've listened to some Tori Amos today and that sounded quite well. Adele had some problems in the higher tones. (mainly ticks, not so grainy)

The problem is that I don't have rights to install any software on that laptop. So media-player is my only option.
Could it be the player and not the DAC then?

I could try it on my own laptop. (Ubuntu/Banshee or Totem or even Audacity)

edit: Currently listening to Adele (21) again. I'm using Banshee and it sounds much better then at work. But it's a different laptop, different software and an other set of cans. I'm using Superlux HD662-F at home. They are a little more pronounced in the highs. So the problems should be even more obvious now. I don't here any. So it's not the files.

Nov 29, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 9
It is most likely a DAC issue.  Most laptops have low quality DACs and they often have noise issues caused by poorly isolated power trains.  I do not listen to my PC anymore and have not in more than a year.  I tried it a while back and compared to my m903 or even my Bithead it sounds nothing short of terrible.

Nov 30, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 9
I did some research and found that the codec in the laptop is an Analog Devices AD1984. Not too shabby I would say. But the implementation influences the performance a great deal. And it could still be the software.

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #7 of 9
I just installed Foobar2000 (portable mode - no rights to install anything needed 
smile.gif
).
No problems detected yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
I just installed Foobar2000 (portable mode - no rights to install anything needed 
smile.gif
).
No problems detected yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope this fixed your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back