Will a DAC eliminate EMI (humming/buzzing) noises on a PC/headhpones?
Jan 20, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #17 of 21
Update in case someone else has a similar issue in the future.

I bought the Fiio E10k, it completely eliminated the EMI noises that I can hear at least and my headphones sound better too.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #18 of 21
  Update in case someone else has a similar issue in the future.

I bought the Fiio E10k, it completely eliminated the EMI noises that I can hear at least and my headphones sound better too.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Yep.  These guys were steering you straight, by and large.  Even with a quality PSU in a PC, it may still depend on the internal case structure as to whether there's adequate shielding to prevent from picking up all the extraneous noise from fans/hard drives/other cards, etc.

About USB cables - the standard includes shielding and should make no difference whatsoever compared to an audiophile USB cable.  This shielding is used to shield the power wiring within the USB cable.  However, that same USB standard allows for unshielded USB cables to connect mice (mouses?) and keyboards.  Someone can get those mixed up with a genuine shielded USB cable, where the performance can be very different.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #19 of 21
Hmmm I have the opposite experience to many here. A USB external DAC brought upon humming/buzzing noises where the onboard audio or using a soundcard had no noise at all at max volume. It seems like it's a common issue that USB DACs will pick up noise from the ground loop which is notoriously difficult to eliminate. 

Jan 26, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #20 of 21
Just received brand new Creative SB X7 and now I am experiencing hum and buzzing noise from my Z906 front Speakers, I even bought a cheap ground loop isolator from ebay but still having this noisy issue while playing music in normal and in ASIO/Wasapi mode.

Now Im still not sure if its hardware or software related isssue??

Feb 7, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #21 of 21
Just received brand new Creative SB X7 and now I am experiencing hum and buzzing noise from my Z906 front Speakers, I even bought a cheap ground loop isolator from ebay but still having this noisy issue while playing music in normal and in ASIO/Wasapi mode.

Now Im still not sure if its hardware or software related isssue??

Try linking it up with the optical out of your onboard audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back