Will a cheap CMoy work with my HD-595? Where can I buy one?
Sep 29, 2007 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sofakng

New Head-Fier
I'm buying Sennheiser HD-595 headphones as an upgrade from my super-old Sony MDR-V600s.

Basically I just want to the headphones to sound the best they could and I want a simple volume control for the headphones.

I definitely do not want to LOSE quality by hooking up an amplifier.

Will a very cheap CMoy amplifier improve my sound quality and give me a volume control?

Also, where can I buy one? I can't find any on Ebay that include a DC power adapter slot and I don't have posting access to the For Sale forum here.

Thanks for any help!

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sofakng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm buying Sennheiser HD-595 headphones as an upgrade from my super-old Sony MDR-V600s.

Basically I just want to the headphones to sound the best they could and I want a simple volume control for the headphones.

I definitely do not want to LOSE quality by hooking up an amplifier.

Will a very cheap CMoy amplifier improve my sound quality and give me a volume control?

Also, where can I buy one? I can't find any on Ebay that include a DC power adapter slot and I don't have posting access to the For Sale forum here.

Thanks for any help!

IMO, you would be better off buying a used GoVibe V5 or V6 (or similar) here. They pop up pretty often. They are basically "super" Cmoys with an active ground rather than just two channels. Most have DC power jacks. You can later add a quality REGULATED power supply.

Sep 29, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the reply!

Are GoVibes definitely better than CMoys? ...or are certain GoVibe versions lower in quality?

Also, can I ask somebody to post in the For Sale forum for me, or is that against the rules? It seems a little silly that I have to wait 30 days (and 50 posts) just to let other people know I want to buy a GoVibe (v5?)...

Sep 29, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 6
Go for a GoVibe with the AD8397 inside, because HD595 need rather current efficiency than voltage amplification due to rather low impedance. CMoy won't help much HD595 because regular op-amps have very limited output current, AD8397 an the like - not. So GoVibe v7 schould work, however it's not all you can get from these headphones. More than from a CMoy, anyway.

Sep 30, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #5 of 6
Can amplifiers actually make the sound quality WORSE? I've seen a couple of GoVibe for sale (in the archive that have already been sold) that say "increases treble, has neutral bass", etc.

I just want to hear sounds as they were meant to be heard... I don't want the sound to be altered... (Actually I'm a complete newbie but this makes the most sense to me?)

Sep 30, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sofakng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will a very cheap CMoy amplifier improve my sound quality and give me a volume control? Also, where can I buy one? I can't find any on Ebay that include a DC power adapter slot and I don't have posting access to the For Sale forum here.
Thanks for any help!

First of all, an inexpensive cMoy that sounds quite good is the item of discussion in this thread. I own one, and have posted my observations on its sound in that thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255253

Second, you can still enter into For Sale transactions by sending a Private Message (PM) to the seller with an offer even if you cannot post to the forum. That is, if you are able to send PM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back