Will a "better" amp help clipping?
Feb 3, 2007 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

George Chronis

100+ Head-Fier
I am listening to a Bethoven sonata (Barenboim, Deutche Gramophon recording). I transfered it lossless to my iPod and I'm using HD595 and HD650 on a PA2V2. If I go past 60% on the pot, I have terrible clipping in the lows and then the highs as well. It's solo piano, so it's nice to listen to it a bit louder, though I'm not a fan of piercing my ears with loud music.

I have not experienced this before with the same amp, because the rest of the music is already loud to be heard at this kind of setting on the pot. I have the same issue with most solo piano and different recordings (like Glenn Gould's Bach).

My question is: If I go to a better amp (Hornet, Aria, Gilmore Lite) will I be able to play the same thing at same volume without clipping? Clipping is not in the recording (obviously; that would be terrible). I'm not so sure how the whole amplidication deal works. Is the same piece going to be clipping after a certain volume regardless of the amp, or does the quality of the amp have something to do with this?

I have a Woo6 on order and will get the Extreme as well, but the situation I'm talking about is for a bedroom setup and I don't want anything huge in here.

Thanks!

Feb 3, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 6
Obvious question: Are your batteries dying?

In my opinion, a GoVibe w/Elpac would probably be enough to fix the distortion problem... which I am thinking is caused by insufficient output voltage. I draw this conclusion as the issue becomes evident by knob position, not actual volume level.

Big cans, small amp, small battery, etc...
wink.gif

Thats not to say you can't go with a small amp, as the Hornet and others you mention are completely different. More powerful yes.

Feb 3, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 6
Good point about the batteries. Although I had not thought about it, the amp has been plugged in for the past 8 hours, so I wouldn't think so.

Ok, so it does make a difference in distortion what amp you choose. Good. And I was looking for an excuse to get a Gilmore Lite after all the threads I read that question the value of an amp in SQ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Obvious question: Are your batteries dying?

In my opinion, a GoVibe w/Elpac would probably be enough to fix the distortion problem... which I am thinking is caused by insufficient output voltage. I draw this conclusion as the issue becomes evident by knob position, not actual volume level.

Big cans, small amp, small battery, etc...
wink.gif

Thats not to say you can't go with a small amp, as the Hornet and others you mention are completely different. More powerful yes.

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #4 of 6
I've never been impressed with the power from the PA2V2. It is a very nice amp for the price, which isn't very high so I would never complain about the power issue. It was my first portable amp and served me well with IEMs.

I have the same problem with clipping on every can I own except the 55 Ohm K240S using the PA2v2.

I think the G lite would be great.

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 6
I have a "M" Hornet / HD650s / HD595s
The amp won't clip even with the volume at 100%
Good amps don't clip, cheap amps can do that with demanding cans.

Feb 3, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 6
Great. Thanks a lot everyone. I knew my question would cost me money (that's what usually happens here). Can't wait to get my new amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back