Will a $500 CD player make a difference over the iPod?
Mar 22, 2005 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

mhcarlos

100+ Head-Fier
I mostly use my Powerbook and iPod (line-out) as a source at home, the SR-225, SR-60, Etys and KSC-35 for headphones, and the SR-71 for my amp.

My question is will upgrading the source with a sub-$500 CDP (like one of those Marantz or NAD models) make a difference?

Mar 22, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 49
bump!
I am really interested too.
blink.gif

Mar 22, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 49
I guess it will depend on two things:

1) What cd player you buy
2) What file type you listen to with your iPod

If one is listening predominantly to 192 kbs mp3s on the iPod, then yes, moving to a cd player is going to make a difference. IF one is listening to lossless or wave, then it will be less noticeable and in some ways, the sound could be better because of reduced jitter.

However! a really solid cd player (like the Music Hall M25 or whatever they call it, basically the Shanling S100) which is now selling for $319 is an incredible deal and often takes down cd players costing 1k+. Add in some mods later on for an extra 3-400 bucks and you have a player that easily competes with 1k+ players of all types and gets into the 2k+ level, maybe beyond? I have not heard one, but from the claims...

If one has the money, and the CD's, then I would not think twice about it. I find that the front-end makes the biggest difference once the headphones are chosen. I think one would notice a good level of improvement with SR 225's, perhaps not as much with lower level headphones like the KSC 35's (which are still my favourite budget phone)

Mar 22, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 49
Fo' Shizzle!
All the music on my 4G iPod is either full .wav or Apple lossless and I get much better sound on my cd player. Critical listeners will notice greater dynamics, accurate reproduction, better soundstaging and the list goes on. A lot less grainy and splashy too. Of course, it's all relative to what degree you will notice and enjoy the improvements. It's a nice chunk of cash if you are one of those people who doesn't notice or care about these things because $500 buys a really nice 27" flat screen tube tv.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 22, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 49
I was an avid ipod user with the sr-71, but i upgraded to a jolida 100a (basically a music hall cd25 but with a tubed output) and havent looked back. A portable dap simply cant offer that much interms of soundstage, imaging, and harmonic bloom, thats why i decided to get the jolida which does those things very well, and also has a very nice midrange vs. an okay midrange on an ipod

Mar 22, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 49
I noticed a huge difference when going from the line out of the Ipod dock to my gilmore lite towhen I hooked the lite up to a ~$200 DVD player. The cheepo DVD player sounded much MUCH better, so I can only imagine that a dedicated CD player would only sound better than my DVD player.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the files on my Ipod were apple lossless

Mar 22, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 49
I agree with Zanth analysis. I own several mid-fi and entry-level hi-fi sources (see my sig below) and the MH 25 which I own in its www.av123.com incarnation (they call it Onix XCD-88) leaves everything else in the dust. Mind you, it is not a "showy-sounding" source (my CI Audio DAC was more impressive when I first heard it) but if you listen to music for a few hours a day as I do, the musical, relaxed sound of the Onix is heaven.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
However! a really solid cd player (like the Music Hall M25 or whatever they call it, basically the Shanling S100) which is now selling for $319 is an incredible deal and often takes down cd players costing 1k+. Add in some mods later on for an extra 3-400 bucks and you have a player that easily competes with 1k+ players of all types and gets into the 2k+ level, maybe beyond? I have not heard one, but from the claims...

Mar 22, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcarlos
Guys -- Thanks for all the responses!

Calaf -- I looked at your link for the Onix XCD-88. If it's essentially a Music Hall, how come it's cheaper at $300? The MH CD25 is around $500, I think.

http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=25.1

good, I see they reduced the price back to $300 (it started $300 then was $400 for a while).
I can confirm it is a MH CD25 clone:
http://forum.av123.com/showthread.php?threadid=6119
My best guess is that it costs less because of the distribution channel: you buy the Onix direct from av123 and can't return it unless defective. The MusicHall you can find, audition and sometimes even borrow in one of those plush hi-end audio shops. This must cost something...

Mar 22, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcarlos
I mostly use my Powerbook and iPod (line-out) as a source at home, the SR-225, SR-60, Etys and KSC-35 for headphones, and the SR-71 for my amp.

My question is will upgrading the source with a sub-$500 CDP (like one of those Marantz or NAD models) make a difference?

Seems to me that you'll be able to answer your own question by taking your rig to a couple of hi fi shops and comparing for yourself...
600smile.gif

At least you'll know what general ballpark of audible improvement you're dealing with before ordering an item you can't return.

Best,
Beau

Mar 22, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #13 of 49
How does the Onix XCD88 compare to say Cambridge Azur 640C or other players in the $500 range?

Is one with silver/aluminum face plate avaliable now? Seems like it's only avaliabe in gunmetal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back