Will a 17" Computer Monitor Sink or Float?
Aug 11, 2005 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

dag655321

100+ Head-Fier
OK, heres the deal. A friend of mine who is an avid snow boarder posted this on his snow boarding community website, so I though I would post it here.

He has a 17" computer monitor (tube) circa 1997. He also has a large lake in his backyard. The question is, will the monitor sink or float. The monitor will be gently set in the water, allowing all of the vents to fill with water. The monitor will then be submerged 6 inches to fill any remaining air pockets. Will the bouyancy of the tube be able to support the weight of the glass and electronics?

The answer will be posted on Monday.

edit The reuslts have been posted. See post #57 in this thread.

Aug 11, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 76
I forgot about this.

Does anybody know how to set up one of those voting polls? That would make tabulating the results much easier.

Aug 11, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 76
I think it will soak.

Aug 11, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 76
A UK program called 'Brainiac - Science Abuse' (daft fun not to be taken seriously) did a whole lot of 'what will float' in each episode. It was basically what bits of the office would save you if global warming struck all of a sudden. The test subject jumped into a pool holding on to things like the waste paper bin, desk, chair, paper etc. The crt monitor sunk like a stone.

Aug 11, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #8 of 76
A 17 inch monitor from that era is bound to weigh about 50-60 lbs. There is no way the volume of air inside the monitor's tube will be able to provide enough bouyancy to keep it floating.

It's gonna sink like a rock.

Aug 11, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 76
It'll sink faster than Ashlee Simpson's music career.

edit: That means really fast...

Aug 11, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 76
Quote:

It'll sink faster than Ashlee Simpson's music career.

edit: That means really fast...

biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by TWIFOSP
A 17 inch monitor from that era is bound to weigh about 50-60 lbs. There is no way the volume of air inside the monitor's tube will be able to provide enough bouyancy to keep it floating.

It's gonna sink like a rock.

There shouldn't be any air in the tube. That's why it's called a vacuum tube.

So it should sink

Aug 11, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #13 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by TWIFOSP
A 17 inch monitor from that era is bound to weigh about 50-60 lbs. There is no way the volume of air inside the monitor’s tube will be able to provide enough bouyancy to keep it floating.

It’s gonna sink like a rock.

Also , usually monitors have holes in them, to allow heat to ‘escape’, and thus it won’t have the advantage of having air filling out the space in between the components. It will definitely sink as ‘a rock’

Aug 11, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #14 of 76
Depends on the monitor. I've got a 17" G200 Trinitron that weighs about a billion pounds and has holes for venting heat. It'd DEFINATLEY sink. My Samsung 793MB is much lighter, but it's still not exactly lightweight and has the same ventilation holes, so it might float with a really good throw but I'd bet on sinking.

Aug 11, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #15 of 76
Just to clarify, and in case there was any confusion, the monitor in questions has lots of vent holes in the case. It is safe to say that the only place water can't get into is the tube itself.

We will try to conduct the experiment after work today (weather permitting). Hopefully we will be able to capture some video as proof, but I will wait until Monday to post it.

Keep the guesses coming...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back