Wilco's Jeff Tweedy on page one of Wall Street Journal
Jan 12, 2005 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
Well, here's something I wasn't expecting to see this AM!!

The article (sorry, no link...) is about how the last provider of analog recording tape has gone under, and how that makes for difficult recording sessions for some. The example was Wilco, who doesn't do digital mixing.

Jan 12, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
is about how the last provider of analog recording tape has gone under, and how that makes for difficult recording sessions for some. The example was Wilco, who doesn't do digital mixing.

Bravo Tweedy.

Digital is the devil's work.
evil_smiley.gif

Analog Ruuuules!!!!!

Must have been be a slow few days on Wall Street.
blink.gif

Jan 12, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 10
I was always curious to read a comparison between analog (reel tape?) vs. dat vs. Hard drives. Digital is fine if it's mixed correctly.

Jan 12, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 10
Time to tape over that "Doctor Dolittle" soundtrack. Or how about those old Beatles tapes laying in that vault...? Quantegy is going out of business? Well I guess the demand just isn't there any more. Damn, what's next? How long until I can't find new punch cards for my Univac!

Jan 12, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 10
NPR did an article about this a couple of months ago and said, at the time, that there were only three companies producing mag tape components and only one making the tape. Now those three will have to cease production...

About 6 or 7 years ago I shot a role of black and white film and was surprised how much trouble it was to find someone who sold and developed it.

Jan 12, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Must have been be a slow few days on Wall Street.
blink.gif

Not really, the WSJ does a sort of "whimsical" article to run in the middle of Page One...the A-frame, I think they call it. (I'm surprised I still remember where it is, I've been reading the WSJ online for so long...) It's a nice break from all the "harder" news stories that grace the front page.

Jan 12, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Well, here's something I wasn't expecting to see this AM!

Did anyone else catch the allusion? I liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back