Wilco YHF Vinyl vs cd
Jan 15, 2004 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jeffro

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

I picked up the vinyl version of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot the other day and found the highs to be very shrill and harsh compared to the cd version.

Has anyone else noticed this?

It may just be that my turntable is subpar compared to my cdp, but many other records both new and old have sounded great.

Thanks

Jan 15, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 5
Dunno about this album but I've found the quality of Matador pressings to be good in general but not ALWAYS. For instance my Yo La Tengo and Matmos records are great while the Cat Power pressings are pretty noisy (it's not the recording, I've compared them to CD)

Jan 16, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 5
The vinyl of YHF is dreadful, i paid 30 for my copy, and have been extremely disapointed. My guess is that it was just an ADA recording, but i can't say for sure. Regardless, something significant was lost in the vinyl version. All head-fi'ers avoid!

Jan 16, 2004 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 5
Thank you both for your replies.

I paid $26 for the record at my neighborhood record shop. I was excited to get the record, since I like the recording so much. I too was very dissapointed; what a dog of a recording.

Jan 16, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 5
lmao, the other day I gave YHF a second shot. I had bought it around release, and frankly, wasn't too impressed with it. Anyways, so I listened to it again the other night, and wow! it is nice! besides that, the cd has some of the best production amongst recent cds. There's hardly any clipping and the sound is pristene and warm. Lovely sounding cd )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back