Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Apr 21, 2002 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

secretagent44

Head-Fier
I'm extremely excited about this album. I encourage everyone to pick up a copy when it comes out on Tuesday. I usually disagree with Rolling Stone, but they called this album the first great one of 2002, and I wholeheartedly agree. Anyone else have an opinion on this record?

Apr 21, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 28
I've had a copy of the album for about a month so far, and its really very good.

So far I think Wilco have improved with every release.
(YHF > Summer Teeth > Being There)
All are good, though.

Do you know when the cd is going to be released?

Apr 21, 2002 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 28
Can't wait. I agree that each album has been a quantum leap. I only like 2 songs on the first one, about half the songs on the second, virtually all of Summer Teeth. If as you say, this one's better than ST, I can't wait.

The new Elvis Costello "When I was Cruel" comes out too.

markl

Apr 23, 2002 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 28
Just picked up my copy today, simply fantastic!

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 28
For me, a new Wilco album is occasion to buy the day it comes out.

For those of you unfamiliar with the band, Wilco is chiefly singer/songwriter Jeff Tweedy who was half of Uncle Tupelo, a roots rock band from the early 90s that became more famous long after it broke up. Uncle Tupelo is sometimes credited for launching the "alt country" movement. However, Wilco was always 50% the Replacements, 50% roots rock, a winning combo.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is the album that broke up the band (half of them left during its recording). Upon delivery of YHF to their major label, they were promptly dropped for making a record that "didn't sound like Wilco".

After a year in gestation, it's finally been released on an indie label. This is a "difficult" album that will surely continue to deliver listen after listen. This is Wilco's "Kid A" in a way. Baffling at first, but dense with music, and rewarding over time. And aren't those the records you treasure most?

markl

Apr 24, 2002 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
For me, a new Wilco album is occasion to buy the day it comes out.

For those of you unfamiliar with the band, Wilco is chiefly singer/songwriter Jeff Tweedy who was half of Uncle Tupelo, a roots rock band from the early 90s that became more famous long after it broke up. Uncle Tupelo is sometimes credited for launching the "alt country" movement. However, Wilco was always 50% the Replacements, 50% roots rock, a winning combo.

markl

Thanks for the review. I would never have listened to this and I will definately give it a listen.

John

Apr 24, 2002 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 28
You might want to start with the previous album Summer Teeth. It's much more song-oriented, a bit more rockin'. If you like YHF and you try it first, I'd go with ST next.

markl

Apr 24, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 28
Great, complex and moving album. There are absolutely no throwaways. A bit of a departure from Wilco's earlier works but on 1st, 2nd and 3rd listens I dare say I may like it better than AM or Being There. This is the best new music I have heard in some time. I am really digging...

Apr 24, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 28
I hope this album ends up on all the 2002 ten best lists. Then I hope that the executive twerp at Waner Bros who dropped them because of this album LOSES HIS JOB.

markl

Apr 25, 2002 at 3:13 PM Post #12 of 28
This is the most brilliant pop album since OK Computer or UP. Kudos to Wilco for progressing and keeping their music interesting.

Apr 26, 2002 at 2:58 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
I hope this album ends up on all the 2002 ten best lists. Then I hope that the executive twerp at Waner Bros who dropped them because of this album LOSES HIS JOB.

markl

Actually, they were picked up by other twerps at Warner Bros.. except they're called Nonesuch.. so, ironically, they're still on WB! I was thinking the other day.. what if it was a big plot..

Have one arm drop the band, built up anticipation through the controversy, and then pick them up again by another arm..

The only problem is that Wilco gave it away for free...oops!

I do hope it sells well.. just to spite Reprise for being idiots..

I bought my copy yesterday, and it's a damn fine album!
smily_headphones1.gif

-jar

Apr 26, 2002 at 6:06 PM Post #14 of 28
So has anybody heard what "YHF" stands for? (and don't tell me "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" - I know its the military phonetic alphabet. What I mean is does it stand for something, or relate to something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back