Wikipedia!
Dec 21, 2005 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

chych

The butter knife's second victim.
Usually when I'm bored and lounging at the computer, I hit up wikipedia and look at random articles, in the quest to increase my knowledge (or something like that). After all these years, I finally looked up 'headphone' (surprise surprise!). As Wikipedia depends on the users for articles, I encourage everyone on this forum, share your knowledge! (and not just in the 'headphones' article, which I just made some contributions to).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headphone

While we're at it, go save the world, make world peace, and invent a perpetually moving energy inducing infinite power plant
etysmile.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
LOL.. very thorough, whoever was responsible for that.

A few weeks ago I added all the models of grado line up I could think of, appearantly someone decided to include details to it.

GJ whoever it was!

Dec 21, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by chych
Usually when I'm bored and lounging at the computer, I hit up wikipedia and look at random articles, in the quest to increase my knowledge (or something like that).

I do that to, I type in a word and then move on to another word that is crosslinked in the article. I could waste alot of time there.

Dec 22, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firam
I do that to, I type in a word and then move on to another word that is crosslinked in the article. I could waste alot of time there.

Ah yep. Great fun. I'll also see something during the day and make a mental note: "I'll wiki that when I get home...".

I joined WP a few months ago. I kept finding myself doing small corrections to articles, so I figured I might as well take credit for it. Some grammatical, but mostly factual. The Cream Soda article I wrote a couple lines for, and fixed something or other. My contribution to an encyclopedia: sugary goodness. Yay.

I wrote a fairly massive article for the Gentoo wiki, on the hplip package. (available here if anyone cares)

Dec 22, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #10 of 27
Conversation between a friend and myself after I continually gave her Wikipedia references to questions of all sorts...

"Is there a Wikipedia article for everything?"
"Likely so."

Dec 22, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #12 of 27
This is the type typically used in recording studios. Examples include: AKG K501, Audio-Technica ATH-A900, Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD650, Bose Tri-Port Headphones , and Sony MDR-SA5000.

OMG, I hope they are not serious. Recording studios uses Bose Tri-port??????

Dec 22, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
This is the type typically used in recording studios. Examples include: AKG K501, Audio-Technica ATH-A900, Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD650, Bose Tri-Port Headphones , and Sony MDR-SA5000.

OMG, I hope they are not serious. Recording studios uses Bose Tri-port??????

My god man! Well, hurry up and delete it.

Dec 22, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #14 of 27
Dec 22, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #15 of 27
icy: or rather, if you read the study and not the fawning newspaper write-ups, 30% less factually accurate and a lot worse written and edited.

I did WP for a while but gave up. Mostly because the fact that it's essentially design-by-committee on the grand scale means there's no room for really _good_ writing; I wrote a full set of articles on Neil Gaiman's Sandman series which were written in (I flatter myself to believe) a fairly nice prose style. In the years since they've been edited by fiddlers and protocol sticklers; they probably contain more _information_ now but they're just not as easy or nice to read. Doesn't feel to me like a problem WP can ever solve, so yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back