WiiM Streamers Mini and Pro
Jul 12, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #601 of 804
I’ve been using the Wiim app, on iOS, and when looking at an artists albums (on Qobuz) and when listing them it’s showing release date rather than the albums title. Tidal is fine, and Qobuz is fine on the Android version of the app.

Attachments

• IMG_0506.png
    IMG_0506.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Jul 27, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #602 of 804
I installed a WiiM Pro in my system a couple of days ago and so far I am very impressed.
I am using it as a Roon endpoint feeding coax to my DAC. It is replacing an Rpi 4 running vitOS using USB to feed the DAC. The set up was completely painless with music playing in less than 5 min. As I suspected SQ wise I don't really detect any difference between the Pro and the Rpi 4. I am using fixed volume and EQ off in the WiiM set up app to ensure bit perfect playback and this was confirmed by the Roon software. I am a believer in using LAN cable over Wi-Fi for stability but unfortunately I have recently moved my system to a different room in the house and hard wire connection was not available. The vit OS I was running on my Rpi4 does not support Wi-Fi and rather than changing the OS to Riopee or something else that did, I thought I would try a WiiM Pro using Wi-Fi. Only have listened to about 5 or 6 hours of music but the Wi-Fi is rock solid with no dropouts. Gapless playback is perfect and although I am not receiving any SQ benefits with the WiiM Pro (which I did not expect) I have noticed an improvement in response time using the Roon remote app during track changing and other playback actions. I would highly recommend a WiiM Pro as a Roon endpoint, very good product at very good price.

Jul 29, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #603 of 804
Wiim will be adding a new wiim pro plus on August 5th. The new model has a better Dac will update site once more news is released.
Here is a list of know feature (thanks to @brantome for posting this info on Wiim Forum)

WiiM Pro+ = WiiM Pro + Better ADC + Better DAC + OPAMP
  • Simple system – direct to your AMP or powered speaker without external DAC
  • Upgraded DAC with OP AMP, redesigned power circuits and upgraded ADC that can do up to 24-bit/192 kHz.
  • Audio quality comparable with WiiM Pro connected to the external DAC (up to $500 price?)
  • Save the external DAC and cable cost
  • Some low-end DACs don’t handle the clock, variable sample rate/bit depth properly, or don’t support up to 24-bit/192kHz digital input
  • SNR: 120 dB (A-wt)
  • THD+N (1 kHz): 0.0004% (-108 dB) for 44.1k to 192k
  • FR curve: +/- 0.1 dB
It features a new generation AKM 4493SEQ premium DAC that is able to achieve a leading level of low distortion and wide dynamic range thanks to AKM’s Velvet Sound Technology.

Retail price around €220 including the remote. Release date around Aug 5th on Amazon US, UK, DE, and CA.

Edit: this of course is subject to verification/ change by WiiM but has been collated from a few DMs I’ve had from them in recent weeks.

Jul 29, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #604 of 804
Wiim will be adding a new wiim pro plus on August 5th. The new model has a better Dac will update site once more news is released.
Here is a list of know feature (thanks to @brantome for posting this info on Wiim Forum)

WiiM Pro+ = WiiM Pro + Better ADC + Better DAC + OPAMP
  • Simple system – direct to your AMP or powered speaker without external DAC
  • Upgraded DAC with OP AMP, redesigned power circuits and upgraded ADC that can do up to 24-bit/192 kHz.
  • Audio quality comparable with WiiM Pro connected to the external DAC (up to $500 price?)
  • Save the external DAC and cable cost
  • Some low-end DACs don’t handle the clock, variable sample rate/bit depth properly, or don’t support up to 24-bit/192kHz digital input
  • SNR: 120 dB (A-wt)
  • THD+N (1 kHz): 0.0004% (-108 dB) for 44.1k to 192k
  • FR curve: +/- 0.1 dB
It features a new generation AKM 4493SEQ premium DAC that is able to achieve a leading level of low distortion and wide dynamic range thanks to AKM’s Velvet Sound Technology.

Retail price around €220 including the remote. Release date around Aug 5th on Amazon US, UK, DE, and CA.

Edit: this of course is subject to verification/ change by WiiM but has been collated from a few DMs I’ve had from them in recent weeks.

Here it is:

WiiM Pro Plus
https://a.co/d/1dWO5iO

Edit: the link is no longer valid.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #605 of 804
marginal price increase for what appears to be a number of additional enhancements. The regular Wiim Pro that I ordered during prime day is going back and I am getting this instead!

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #607 of 804
marginal price increase for what appears to be a number of additional enhancements. The regular Wiim Pro that I ordered during prime day is going back and I am getting this instead!
The main difference is in the Dac between the wiim pro and wiim pro plus. If your have it connected to a quality dac not really worth switching.

These two really just fill different niches for different users. High end user are going prefer using their own dac and saving a little on the wiim pro. Where others that just want to connect to a receiver are going want a better sounding Dac.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #608 of 804
The main difference is in the Dac between the wiim pro and wiim pro plus. If your have it connected to a quality dac not really worth switching.

These two really just fill different niches for different users. High end user are going prefer using their own dac and saving a little on the wiim pro. Where others that just want to connect to a receiver are going want a better sounding Dac.

Centrally it will be an excellent product, like the ones made so far.

In my opinion, however, they will make the real leap when and if they make a streamer with USB output.

Jul 30, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #609 of 804
In my opinion, however, they will make the real leap when and if they make a streamer with USB output.

Owners of iFi ZEN stack (myself included) would rejoice :)

Jul 30, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #610 of 804

There's also those of us who are not going to waste money on stand-alone DACs and are perfectly happy with their 10yo AV-Receiver's built-in DAC. :dt880smile:

Jul 31, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #612 of 804
I run the Wiim Pro into my Rege Exel Mk4 coax input and it sounds great. For my desktop setup I run the WiiM Mini with the Toslink Optical out into my Gheshelli Labs J2 DAC then into the Archel 2.5XL into my headphones and the sound is, again, AMAZING!

I think if you don't have a nice DAC already the WiiM Pro plus. The people that say you don't need a standalone DAC have likely never had a nice standalone DAC. Seriously, that was me up until I got a nice DAC. It really does make a difference if your system is good enough to take advantage of it.

Aug 1, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #613 of 804
I run the Wiim Pro into my Rege Exel Mk4 coax input and it sounds great. For my desktop setup I run the WiiM Mini with the Toslink Optical out into my Gheshelli Labs J2 DAC then into the Archel 2.5XL into my headphones and the sound is, again, AMAZING!

I think if you don't have a nice DAC already the WiiM Pro plus. The people that say you don't need a standalone DAC have likely never had a nice standalone DAC. Seriously, that was me up until I got a nice DAC. It really does make a difference if your system is good enough to take advantage of it.
And I'm sure you could tell the difference in a blind listening test? 😉

All I'm saying is, the impact a DAC has on the sound is VERY far down on the list of things that impact the sound.

(recording, speakers, their placement, room, room treatment, all coming way before that)

Aug 1, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #614 of 804
And I'm sure you could tell the difference in a blind listening test? 😉

All I'm saying is, the impact a DAC has on the sound is VERY far down on the list of things that impact the sound.

(recording, speakers, their placement, room, room treatment, all coming way before that)
I would tend to agree - at reasonable listening levels, I find it hard to discern the difference between my WiiM Pro/ Plus and my Linn Majik, and I’d be the first to admit confirmation bias has a lot to do with me saying I like my Linn best :wink:

Aug 1, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #615 of 804
I can tell the difference in dac signature between my Ares 2 and the wiim pro dac. R-2R Dac‘s have a different sound quality than a chip based dac imho. With chip based is harder to tell difference but there is some variation depending on chip used and also the rest of the components used to build each dac.

Recently they released new firmware for the Denafrips line of Dac that changed the sound so manufactures can add filter or even use firmware to effect the sound signature, there more than just the chip that affects the sound of a dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back