WiFi 7 Headphones on the horizon?
Jan 22, 2024 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

droid23

100+ Head-Fier
Hello community,

Are there any WiFi 7 enabled hi-res capable headphones already on the market or does someone know of plans of the manufacturers (and I'm not talking about gaming oriented headphones, even though some have decent audio quality) ?
The reason is e.g. that Samsung still doesn't want to activate their Snapdragon's AptX HD, Lossless, and Adaptive BT codec support to push sales of their own lossless codec (SSC) hardware like the Galaxy Buds... a nice middle finger in the face of all Samsung "flagship" owners.

But:

As Qualcomm recently stated, their newest chips will support Wifi 7 with 24/96 audio streaming (at least in the beginning, but even higher bitrates/kHz will be implemented later) and a latency of <50 ms. The Samsung S24 Ultra does have Wifi 7 and so I'm asking if this could enable all Samsung Galaxy S24 users to have native hi-res audio support apart from SSC.

BETTER than BLUETOOTH?! - Snapdragon Sound explained

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 4
Hello community,

Are there any WiFi 7 enabled hi-res capable headphones already on the market or does someone know of plans of the manufacturers (and I'm not talking about gaming oriented headphones, even though some have decent audio quality) ?
The reason is e.g. that Samsung still doesn't want to activate their Snapdragon's AptX HD, Lossless, and Adaptive BT codec support to push sales of their own lossless codec (SSC) hardware like the Galaxy Buds... a nice middle finger in the face of all Samsung "flagship" owners.

But:

As Qualcomm recently stated, their newest chips will support Wifi 7 with 24/96 audio streaming (at least in the beginning, but even higher bitrates/kHz will be implemented later) and a latency of <50 ms. The Samsung S24 Ultra does have Wifi 7 and so I'm asking if this could enable all Samsung Galaxy S24 users to have native hi-res audio support apart from SSC.

BETTER than BLUETOOTH?! - Snapdragon Sound explained
WiFi 7 as a standard itself has only been official for about two weeks.

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 4
Oook, so in other words, the Samsung S24 Ultra was designed, developed, and put on the market within 2 weeks? Wow, hats off to Samsung then. 😉😉

I'm sure Samsung has ample market clout to get access to chips from Qualcomm at every stage of the design/prototype/production cycle. The question is whether any headphone manufacturers have the same kind of pull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back