wife just got a car accident
Aug 21, 2006 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Headphoneus Supremus
but everyone is ok which is all that really matters. it seems like it was her fault so we will see how much moola this will cost. on the bright side i was considering keeping the car but now will turn it back in at the end of the lease (warning do not buy a used brown 2005 toyota sienna
eggosmile.gif
). so i guess this thread can be a thankful thread that no one was hurt including the dude driving the huge furniture truck and i can start a thread on the best big car/suv for a family. i want to get a tahoe to help out GM but the dealers in my town are such jacka**es i dont want to support them. their service departments were shut down for a while because they were charging customers for repairs they never did. i knew dealerships were expensive but at least i thought the work got done as opposed to independent shops where i thought the risk of ripoff would be higher..ah but what do i know?
i think in the last family car thread the subaru won out...me. tahoe(dealer out of town), or 4runner maybe pathfinder. No Fords(horrible experience twice.done with them forever), chrysler?

Aug 21, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 28
Glad she's ok! what happened exactly?

The new Tahoe's are ugly anyways, the new Audi SUV's are attractive
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 21, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 28
Good to hear your wife is OK.

As for a new vehicle, I'd go for the 4Runner or the Subaru depending on your hauling needs.

Although personally, I have no need for an SUV, so I went much smaller, but is very capable of hauling lots of stuff. Just nothing too terribly heavy (i.e. weighing more than 1000lbs).

-Ed

Aug 21, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 28
ah she was on a residential street and there was this furniture truck going really slow. so she decided to pass it and at that point the truck went into a turn in reverse. apparently it was making a delivery but she didnt notice any turn or rear backup lights. so it hit her in the side of the van with the electric door
mad.gif
(of course not the non electric door one)
she felt it was most likely her fault and told the cops exactly what happened without admitting fault and the cop said she probably was more at fault. which is ok because if that is the logical conclusion that is what it is as i told her. i have been in accidents where the other party lied and that is not the way my wife or i live and dont want out children to see that type of behavior.
so that's what happened. tahoe ugly? i kinda thought so but seeing some on the road they arent bad....nah audi to me is a german ford with much better handling, looks,(underpowered?) in terms of reliability. my firends a4 was an awesome car but little things were breaking all the time.

Aug 21, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 28
She's probably at fault for "passing when unsafe" but you never know!

I like the older body styles on the Tahoe's but the brand new ones just look cheap... I dono, I just don't like em. They are hybrids though, they burn fuel and rubber
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
She's probably at fault for "passing when unsafe" but you never know!

I like the older body styles on the Tahoe's but the brand new ones just look cheap... I dono, I just don't like em. They are hybrids though, they burn fuel and rubber
wink.gif

haha...ok let's be real..she was at fault....there i said it and my insurance company hates me for saying it!

man ok..all this hybrid talk..i will check it out but another reason for a big car is the crash factor whether it be right or wrong is for debate....
thanks for all the wellwishes. i appreciate it
k1000smile.gif

Aug 21, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 28
Given the state of affairs in the middle east and the effects on oil prices of late, I second the hybrid idea. My wife has owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Suburban, Excursion, and now has the Toyota Land Cruiser. Son owns a 4Runner. Gas companies own me!
mad.gif

Aug 21, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 28
Hybrids are overrated, the last consumer report that came out on them debunked the great mileage they claim to get as it was not a very accurate representation of their true average MPG. The extra cost in initial vehicle price also means that for you to start to get your $$ worth you would have to own it beyond the 120k mileage point (unless you are buying it solely for environmental reasons). Bottom line is they technology is good but not good enough to justify the extra cost for the average consumer... wait until they improve it. Just my 2¢

Look into the consumer report and go mid-size, even a strong V6 will pull a boat up the mountain and the MPG will be bearable.

Aug 21, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 28
I'm glad everyone's OK. Third the hybrid suggestion, its time to take political, economical and ecological matters into our own hands and stop bi*ching about the price of gas.

Aug 21, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #12 of 28
I'd get a Toyota Camry Hybrid. 40 mpg on the highway, plenty of room (my wife and I have an 07) for the family and should be stone cold reliable. Price really isn't that much higher than the normal Camry to boot.

Nate

P.s. Glad to hear that the wife is ok!

Aug 21, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #13 of 28
I am glad your wife is ok. If you are set on an SUV I can tell you that the Toyota/Lexus RX330 type are very fuel efficient. We have gotten over 28 mpg at 70 mph over a 380 mile trip. Consistently gets over 20 mpg in town.

Aug 21, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 28
what the hell. giving you a call now.

edit - left a voice mail. hilarious that you would tell head-fi before telling me, but i guess head-fi is the quickest way to reach me =p

Aug 21, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #15 of 28
Seriouly test drive a Lexus Rx330 SUV or Lexus ES350. You'll fall in love with the car, and the ES has plenty of HP for a sedan. Like I said, 3.5 liter, 272 horse power, V6. It's rated at 21/30 mpg. 0-60 in 6.8 sec, but people are getting 6.2 on the track. If you want to see anything on the ES or have any questions feel free to ask =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back