Wierd IEM Problem
Jul 9, 2020 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Chrisrd

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have a set of Sennheiser CX870 that I can't make up to a decent volume no matter what I hook them to. I have to say I don't have any high power headphone amplifier but these Senns are supposed to be 115db (1kHz/1Vrms) 32ohm per what's printed on the box, I'm no expert but that seems pretty efficient, doesn't it? They were sold at big electronic store so no audiophile earphones per se, theoretically they should be designed to be used with commonly available sources, they were not cheap at the time either.

They sound very low and tinny with phones, connected them to my TV and could rise the volume to it's maximum level without any distortion or being uncomfortable at all, connected them to my highest power output device, an all in one Aiwa music system that can drive my HD58X to moderately loud volumes when cranked all the way up and these CX 870 were still kind of tinny and quiet even at max volume.

Any suggestion on what can be going on?, I don't really use them because I can't get anything out of them but this muffled shrill sound but they don't distort at all so I have the feeling they could be somewhat decent with enough power but how much?, the whole thing doesn't make any sense to me...

Jul 9, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #2 of 2
Can you describe in better detail the system you get low volume on?

For example:
Aiwa music system fed by output from my PC. Volume on PC set to 100% and volume on Aiwa set to 40%.

That will help us figure out if your PC volume is set low for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back