wide soundstage?
Jun 2, 2006 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sfxjames

100+ Head-Fier
when a person refers to a wide soundstage which part of width is he talking about.

Wide as in more out of head and detached from the listeners position.

or

wide as in spread out more stereo seperation on both sides.

For instance the HD600 doesn't have as wide a soundstage as DT880
more away from the music. Laid-back.

The DT880 has wider soundstage putting the listerner closer to the music, more upfront than laidback.

Jun 2, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 6
I always thought of soundstage as a combination of how far away the headphones make you feel and how wide the performance is. I guess instrument separation comes into play too...

Jun 2, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 6
I always thought of a 'wide' soundstage as how out of one's head the performers/music sounded. And like the poster above said, instrument seperation would also come into play. Like my AD900, the instruments seem to be in a 3D space around me.... this compared to my SR225 which sounded like I just had two loudspeakers propped next to my ears ( Yes I do realize that this is what basically headphones are.. but the best analogy I could come up with
tongue.gif
)

I haven't heard any of the high end Senn's, but I assumed that the laid back sound they're talking about is a kind of 'veiled' type of sound. I used to have a K701 and found that to be laid back. Ii, assuming it's like if you have performers up on a stage, there's a curtain or veil in between you and them, hence that distant sort of sound.

Jun 2, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 6
I compared my DT880s with my ATH-W1000s and both have great soundstage. So either would provide you with what you are asking. My ATH-A900LTD for me does both a little better but that is just my opinion. Having a better source does influence the soundstage as well.

Jun 2, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sfxjames
Wide as in more out of head and detached from the listeners position.

Sounds a bit like the K501. I call that deep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfxjames
wide as in spread out more stereo seperation on both sides.

Sounds like the DT880. I call that wide.

Yay for wordy words!

Oh, and...

Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80
this compared to my SR225 which sounded like I just had two loudspeakers propped next to my ears

Sounds like Senns. :)

Jun 2, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #6 of 6
slwiser, I am trying to find a phone that either surpasses the cd3000.

I would assume that W1000 is between the HD600 and CD3000.

Does anyone know if the SA3000 come close to CD3000 in soundstage?

I am very dissappointed that they discontinued the CD3000s so I am basically trying to find an alternative CD3000 can for dolby headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back