Wide Soundstage Open-back Headphones Under $500?
Jun 30, 2015 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Draulius

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a huge fan of the Audio-Technica AD700's for their soundstage. It's very spacious and places an environment around your ears, which is great for gaming and movies. But I wouldn't say it benefits music as much. They also have great mids that don't feel recessed at all. My only complaints are they're lacking in the low-end and their brightness can be a little fatiguing at times. So I'd like something that's good for music while retaining the great soundstage (or something similar) of the AD700's.

After using these headphones for years I'm ready for that upgrade. I've tried the AKG K712 and was disappointed with their sound and comfort. I could have broken them in more but their lack of comfort made the price unjustified. They did have a good soundstage though. Next I tried the Audio-Technica ATH-R70X which to my ears was balanced, warm and smooth sounding as well as comfortable, but lacked just a bit in the soundstage for my needs. They were almost perfect for me, but I felt like I could do even better. I'm aiming for the Philips Fidelio X2's next, but if those fail to deliver then I think I'm going to save up for an even higher-end headphone. But which ones would be good for me? I like wide soundstages, and headphones that are balanced in sound and not too pronounced or lacking in one region. I don't mind my sound a little colored, but nothing over-the-top. I also find a lot of brightness easily fatiguing, so something easy to listen to for long periods is a plus. Source will be an O2+ODAC combo. 

A couple that come to mind are the Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000X and Shure SRH1840. I had my eyes on the Sennheiser HD600 for a while but from what I've read their soundstage may be too small for my tastes, even smaller than the Philips FIdelio X2's. How would these compare, and what are some other good options for me?

Thanks!

EDIT: Even though the title of this thread says wide, soundstage depth is also important to me.

Jul 1, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #2 of 30
As you've already seen in the X2 thread, their soundstage may not be as big as expected.  I don't have the X2, but the SHP9500 has an enjoyable "floaty" soundstage, but the width might disappoint.  I'd have to do an A-B again to make sure, but the size is probably about on par with Senn HD580/HD600. 

I think the DT990 would be a good choice, except for the recessed mids and excessive bass and highs.  ("How can they be a good choice if all three areas are wrong?") lol.  So if those bug you you'd have to eq them.  I often eq the bass and highs down on it, which brings out the mids.  The DT880 is probably more the balance you're looking for, though I can only make an educated guess at their actual sound.  

Especially if comfort is important, Sony MA900 might be of interest.

Jul 1, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 30
  As you've already seen in the X2 thread, their soundstage may not be as big as expected.  I don't have the X2, but the SHP9500 has an enjoyable "floaty" soundstage, but the width might disappoint.  I'd have to do an A-B again to make sure, but the size is probably about on par with Senn HD580/HD600. 

I think the DT990 would be a good choice, except for the recessed mids and excessive bass and highs.  ("How can they be a good choice if all three areas are wrong?") lol.  So if those bug you you'd have to eq them.  I often eq the bass and highs down on it, which brings out the mids.  The DT880 is probably more the balance you're looking for, though I can only make an educated guess at their actual sound.  

Especially if comfort is important, Sony MA900 might be of interest.

I've actually listened to the DT880's before, but not the DT990's. From what I could tell in the short time I had them they were a bit dry, and their earpads were too small for my ears. The soundstage also wasn't as good as I had hoped, even the R70X's beat them in that department. Although the DT990 has a better soundstage, I'd still have comfort issues and probably find the treble fatiguing.

Jul 1, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 30
If you like soundstage but want a little more in the low end try Ultrasone HD2900. 

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #7 of 30
I was going to recommend the Sennheiser HD 650 but in my experience the O2 doesn't really do them justice. With the right amp though the soundstage is truly beautiful & the sound, although on the warm side of neutral, is very well balanced across the frequency range. The high's are just a touch rolled off too which also sounds like what you're looking for.

If you found the K712 uncomfortable you'll want to avoid the Q701. Truly an instrument of torture to some (me).

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 30
What a coincidence! I'm getting an AD700 soon in a trade.

From memory, the Philips SHP9500 had a larger soundstage than the Sennheiser HD 650. The former is brighter while the latter is darker. The HD 700 can be found used in your price range and has a larger soundstage than the aforementioned two, but I honestly like those two much more affordable headphones quite a bit more than the HD 700. Plus the HD 700 has bright, piercing treble, which would probably be a problem for you. And yeah, the DT 880 doesn't have the largest soundstage. I personally don't care much about soundstage, though, since the soundstage of all headphones is tiny compared to live performances and speakers.

Jul 6, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #10 of 30
I got the Philips Fidelio X2 and surprisingly I find it has the best balance of fun and soundstage out of all the headphones I've tried so far, although the R70x was a little better for music these are great all-rounders. If I could only spend $400 or less on headphones these would be the ones I keep for sure. But that's where I'm left wondering, would it be worth it to save up for something even "better"? Something like the AD2000X for example. I imagine it'd have less bass and more soundstage, but would it really offer a more enjoyable listening experience than these for my needs?

Thanks for any extra feedback you can provide!

Jul 6, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #11 of 30
  I got the Philips Fidelio X2 and surprisingly I find it has the best balance of fun and soundstage out of all the headphones I've tried so far, although the R70x was a little better for music these are great all-rounders. If I could only spend $400 or less on headphones these would be the ones I keep for sure. But that's where I'm left wondering, would it be worth it to save up for something even "better"? Something like the AD2000X for example. I imagine it'd have less bass and more soundstage, but would it really offer a more enjoyable listening experience than these for my needs?

Perhaps--but it appears that we are now very much into the subjective and defined by your personal preferences.  Only you can make such a call.

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #12 of 30

I have never heard the X2 and don't plan on getting the AD2000X, but I am getting the AD700 from a trade soon and plan on getting the AD2000 next. If you like, I can let you know how I think the two compare, once I have heard both. But I won't be able to compare to the X2, since I don't plan on getting it until much later. (The AD2000 is a different headphone than the AD2000X, though, but could still give you a general idea.)

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 30
  I'm a huge fan of the Audio-Technica AD700's for their soundstage. It's very spacious and places an environment around your ears, which is great for gaming and movies.

After using these headphones for years I'm ready for that upgrade. I've tried the AKG K712 and was disappointed with their sound and comfort. I could have broken them in more but their lack of comfort made the price unjustified. They did have a good soundstage though.

Hey Draulius, how did the K12's compare to the A700's overall? Could you go into more detail on the soundstage between the two as well as the bass?

They are definitely more expensive than the AD700, which are on the low tier price point.

The Audio Technica & AKG are always talked about as being the best in soundstage & very light on bass.
Was always wondering if the K12 would be an upgrade at all in soundstage?

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #14 of 30
  If you like soundstage but want a little more in the low end try Ultrasone HD2900. 

I own the Pro900's and if S-Logic sounds the same on the open varieties I couldn't recommend it for anything but electronic music and some movies.  I also feel the Phillips X2 is a series of fantastic compromises.  It doesn't do any one thing incredibly well, but the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts with this headphone.

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #15 of 30

Hey Draulius, how did the K12's compare to the A700's overall? Could you go into more detail on the soundstage between the two as well as the bass?

They are definitely more expensive than the AD700, which are on the low tier price point.

The Audio Technica & AKG are always talked about as being the best in soundstage & very light on bass.
Was always wondering if the K12 would be an upgrade at all in soundstage?

I will say this now, if you care about bass do NOT get the A(D)700(X)'s. When comparing them to any headphone with neutral/below neutral bass (even the K712) it sounds like a chunk is missing off their low-end since the bass is almost non-existent. Less bass can make the soundstage sound bigger though, and in this case it definitely helps. I don't consider myself a basshead so it never bothered me. However, if soundstage is your only concern, then I don't consider the K712 an upgrade. The K712 might be an improvement in build quality and music for some people but their soundstage is more 2-D, meaning it's wide but doesn't reach out as far as the 700's. With the AD700's on I feel more surrounded and distanced from the sound which is great for movie or gaming environments, but it doesn't benefit music as much. I also have read that cheaper models like the K702 and Q701 have a somewhat bigger soundstage than the K712, so if you're bent on getting an AKG model for their soundstage then consider those other two instead and save some money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back