Wicked Burn!!
Oct 24, 2008 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Moontan13

1000+ Head-Fier
I got a new vintage set of Realistic Nova20 headphones from an estate sale. The sound wasn't very good, yet many said they were "OKish". I set them up on my TV audio amp such that any time someone watched TV, the sound would play through these phones. I came home the other night to find someone had turned up the amp volume so the headphones were clearly audible throughout the room.
I freaked. But strangly the drivers were not blown, and the sound had improved enormously from OKish to pretty good. I do not suggest this as a way to burn in phones.

Oct 24, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 6
LOL...Moontan discussing burns...

Oct 24, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 6
I did that once with my KSC75 hooked to my computer. Forgot they were plugged in so turned up the sound so loud that I could hear them clearly thinking it was the computer speakers. They survived too but didn't notice any sound improvement from it later.

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL...Moontan discussing burns...

Moontan is a vague reference to my Astronomy hobby.

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did that once with my KSC75 hooked to my computer. Forgot they were plugged in so turned up the sound so loud that I could hear them clearly thinking it was the computer speakers. They survived too but didn't notice any sound improvement from it later.

With the Nova20s, there was a definite improvement, but I don't attribute that necessarily to 3-4 hours of abuse. With my Denon and JVC phones, the change is noticeable but subtle. Could be me getting used to them, hard to say.

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #6 of 6
Nice! A new in box vintage pair?!! Sounds pretty cool! Glad to hear they weren't damaged! I would probably cry if I knew my vintage pair of phones were blown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back