wich signal cable is best at ~10m ( usb, optical, bnc ... ) ?
Sep 6, 2011 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

aivar1988

100+ Head-Fier
Id like to know wich type of wire i should use if i need to place my dac far away from pc. my best bet is optical cable but id like to hear that from someone smarter than me.
icon_smile.gif
as far as i know usb would not work at all with that long cable ? am i right ? 

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #2 of 7
After some Googling...

USB max length = 5 meters
TOSLINK (optical) max length = 5 -10 meters
Coaxial = 10+ meters

Assuming that signal strength drops off linearly with distance (which may be wrong... but for a back of the envelope calculation seems reasonable) then you'll get the strongest signal from a coaxial cable (bnc or rca.)

Is the distance less than 5 meters? If that's the case then you can use any of the connection methods with equal success.

Edit: I just saw that you specified 10m. Which means that you are probably best off using coax (bnc).

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 7
thx for a reply Iniamyen, i have been googleing myself, and i found that the optical is better for longer distances, coaxial is not. :)
so wich one is right ? :D still confused :p
some even hear the diffrences in sound quality, other say thats impossible etc.

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #5 of 7
TOSLINK is "limited" to 5 meters according to Wikipedia. It goes on to say it may be possible to have longer runs.

I am not sure of the "standard" for S/PDIF over coax, but If you look around there are reports of people running it hundreds of meters. Google "coax attenuation chart" and you can see that for even a 1 MHz signal, only 0.2 dB attenuation occurs per 100ft of cable.

Sep 7, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 7
yep, BNC coax, or AES balanced spdif, the others are out of spec at your 10m distance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back