Wich portable amp for AKG K501?
Oct 13, 2003 at 1:48 AM Post #16 of 32
wow, two head-phiers in the same college, who'da thunk!? Well yah, I'm a Biology (premed) and Music major...we should hook up. I don't have the amp yet (expecting it within the next week) but yah. I actually sold my Airhead amp to a guy in Delta Chi....he was pretty happy, and so was I! $.$

You should drop by if you feel like it, McNary 232.

Oct 14, 2003 at 2:07 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Zemo
wow, two head-phiers in the same college, who'da thunk!? Well yah, I'm a Biology (premed) and Music major...we should hook up. I don't have the amp yet (expecting it within the next week) but yah. I actually sold my Airhead amp to a guy in Delta Chi....he was pretty happy, and so was I! $.$

You should drop by if you feel like it, McNary 232.

Yeah, thanks. I'll come by sometime, once I recovered from the cold. how was the Airhead?

-adi-

Oct 14, 2003 at 7:29 AM Post #18 of 32
Where are you at? Yah, the airhead was great, it was everything I had hoped it would be! Problem is, it couldn't drive my AKG K501s with enough authority, seeing as how their impedance is rated at 120ohms.

I'll have you check out my Maxed out Meta once it comes, but you could also check out the airhead that I sold (it's still on campus). If you're interested, lemme know!

Oct 14, 2003 at 8:00 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Zemo
Where are you at? Yah, the airhead was great, it was everything I had hoped it would be! Problem is, it couldn't drive my AKG K501s with enough authority, seeing as how their impedance is rated at 120ohms.

I'll have you check out my Maxed out Meta once it comes, but you could also check out the airhead that I sold (it's still on campus). If you're interested, lemme know!

I am at 16th and monroe, that building next to the old college in.
Yeah, that's super, thinking of getting the Meta or something that I can carry where ever I go. later
-Adi-

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #21 of 32
Yeah, I have the same problem.
The Tomahawk just can not drive K501, when the volume is up to high (which is not loud enough yet), it will break the bass. I got a new Predator just yesterday, it drives better than Tomahawk, but it would still have problem when the volume is very high. The only thing is that predator is loud enough before it breaks. When use Predator as DAC, it won't break at all. So I guess the power from MP3 (or any portable) players is important, too.

Jan 16, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #23 of 32
My PK1 is 150 ohm, and D1 drive her well
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by udeupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I have the same problem.
The Tomahawk just can not drive K501, when the volume is up to high (which is not loud enough yet), it will break the bass. I got a new Predator just yesterday, it drives better than Tomahawk, but it would still have problem when the volume is very high. The only thing is that predator is loud enough before it breaks. When use Predator as DAC, it won't break at all. So I guess the power from MP3 (or any portable) players is important, too.

Do you realize you're dredging up and replying to a thread that is nearly five years old?

Jan 16, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you realize you're dredging up and replying to a thread that is nearly five years old?

I have no idea, I was just searching anything about K501 and tried to find some answers without reading the date on the thread. Is that breaking the rule on Head-Fi or anything? because I am kind of new here, and I don't want any trouble.

So DC1 is good? what is the source then?

Jan 16, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by udeupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no idea, I was just searching anything about K501 and tried to find some answers without reading the date on the thread. Is that breaking the rule on Head-Fi or anything? because I am kind of new here, and I don't want any trouble.

So DC1 is good? what is the source then?

It's not breaking any rules but it's definitely confusing. If you have a specific question you might think about starting your own thread, you might have better luck getting a response.

If it's a portable amp for the K501's you're looking for you may not be particularly happy with the results, the K501's are known to be one of the harder to drive headphones that typically require some beef to drive them properly. I'm sure you'll find many that will give you loudness but that does not necessarily mean they're being driven properly, I'd think there would be very few portable amps that would be up to the task of even adequately driving them.

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not breaking any rules but it's definitely confusing. If you have a specific question you might think about starting your own thread, you might have better luck getting a response.

If it's a portable amp for the K501's you're looking for you may not be particularly happy with the results, the K501's are known to be one of the harder to drive headphones that typically require some beef to drive them properly. I'm sure you'll find many that will give you loudness but that does not necessarily mean they're being driven properly, I'd think there would be very few portable amps that would be up to the task of even adequately driving them.

Thank you for your response, I appreciate your hint.

Yeah, I have couple portable amp that could provide the loudness, but the bass and treble sometimes distorted when the volume is too high (while it is still not loud enough). Also, Ray Samuel has confirmed with me that AKG K501 is really hard to drive, and he wouldn't recommend his portable amps (even Predator) to drive K501. So...

No, it is not need to be portable, and my budget is about $500. Is there any suggestion?

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #28 of 32
ttvj millet hybrid portable would manhandle them
biggrin.gif
It's warmth is also very nice to add to the k501. It is the only portable I have heard that really has the punch for high impedance cans. It can even handle my 600 ohm K240's with ease. In fact, I like the k240's on the ttvj millet better than the darkvoice 332 that I had.

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Xin SuperMacro IV, SuperMicro, iBasso D1 (Dac) and P2 drive the 501s just fine. These are all portable amps (well, the D1 more transportable!).

Drive 501 just fine means loud enough or loud enough + good quality sound?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My PK1 is 150 ohm, and D1 drive her well
smily_headphones1.gif

What about sensitivity? ohm is not the only factor here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back