Wich one do you recomend, HD600 or HD650? Canadians and headfiers, help!
May 31, 2008 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

zaero69

100+ Head-Fier
A lot has been said about those two end line headphones from sennheiser. In aproximately 10 days my parents leave for Canada to have a few days off there, and I thought this could be a good chance to get one of those two cans.
I have two requests.

The first one is for all the head-fiers here. Wich one of those two headphones would you get? Note that in my home rig has a small amp, a Meier Audio Move.

The second request is for all the canadian dudes out there. Where could they buy the Senns? They will be at. Toronto, Haliburton, Ottawa, Quebec, Tremblant and Finally Montreal.

There's a small third request, it's about the apple stores in canada. Any of those near those places?

Thanks a lot!

May 31, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 35
Don't buy headphones in Canada. We don't have the same prices as the USA. Your parents will be spending hundreds of dollars more than you would if you got them online. For example, it seems Best Buy thought the 650 and the 600 were the prices for those Sennheisers.

May 31, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 35
I'd just get the HD580s with the HD600 screens and HD650 cable.

After a little research on Headfi, you'll discover this is the "value" in the Senn line - none of the Senns sound as good (or any better - in the case of the HD600s).

The HD650s don't even come close, without major investments in your source and a balanced amp.

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 35
You won't really find the HD650/600 stocked at too many stores. In Toronto I think you can pay the full price of $650 for the HD650 at Bay Bloor Audio, which is about $200 more than average USA price

The best price I've seen for an online Canadian store is MDC MiniDisc Canada Inc. which offers the HD650 for around $480, which isn't too far off from the US price. They are located just outside Montreal. I don't think it's a real storefront but you can arrange to preorder it and pick it up at their office.

There are Apple store in many of the large Toronto malls.

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You won't really find the HD650/600 stocked at too many stores. In Toronto I think you can pay the full price of $650 for the HD650 at Bay Bloor Audio, which is about $200 more than average USA price

The best price I've seen for an online Canadian store is MDC MiniDisc Canada Inc. which offers the HD650 for around $480, which isn't too far off from the US price. They are located just outside Montreal. I don't think it's a real storefront but you can arrange to preorder it and pick it up at their office.

There are Apple store in many of the large Toronto malls.

Thanks for the link. The HD650 seem to be at 465$ now.

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd just get the HD580s with the HD600 screens and HD650 cable.

After a little research on Headfi, you'll discover this is the "value" in the Senn line - none of the Senns sound as good (or any better - in the case of the HD600s).

The HD650s don't even come close, without major investments in your source and a balanced amp.

With HD-580s now out of stock and most used pairs selling well close to the $200 mark, their value now stinks compared to a straight HD-600.

Between the HD-600 & HD-650 though, I personally prefer the HD-650 by far, though this is through a 'higher-up' amp than the Move and there is still the matter of personal preference.

Cheers!

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #10 of 35
As they said, it's almost a mission impossible to get a bargin in Canada. For HD650, the best place I have seen is this However it is an online store.

For apple store, I know that there is one in Eaton Center of Toronto.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #11 of 35
Oh yes... make sure you get the "new" version of the HD580/600s with the silver/white metalic fabric covering the driver housing. The "old" version with the black silk is way too dark.

And... FORGET THE HD650s - no one likes them except those who can spend thousands on their set up... or "hip-hop, bass heads" into car audio.

Jun 1, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Oh yes... make sure you get the "new" version of the HD580/600s with the silver/white metalic fabric covering the driver housing. The "old" version with the black silk is way too dark.

I thought that is referring to HD650 only

Jun 1, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

And... FORGET THE HD650s - no one likes them except those who can spend thousands on their set up... or "hip-hop, bass heads" into car audio.

Que???
confused.gif

o

Jun 1, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that is referring to HD650 only

X2

To answer OPs question, it all comes down to what kind of music you listen to. I'm perfectly happy with both of my HD650 and HD600. They are both great cans. They both share a kind of laid back sound signature that transits music sound smooth and silky but HD600 seems to be more agressive on upper end and can handle rock/pop better than HD650. On the other hand, sounds from HD650 has a weight that which makes it sound earthy and organic and suites great with classical and jazz but not so much on agressive music such as rock or electronic. You may do fine with either one of them. They don't sound poor to any extend on any kind of music. However, if you listen to Classical and Jazz predominetly then I'd go for HD650 but if you listen to all kinds of music whether it's classical or rock, I'd go for HD600.

Jun 1, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

I bought my HD600s 2 days ago and they have black fabric, so I dont know what you are talking about
confused.gif

This "old" version that I must therefore presumably have that sounds way too dark is actually sounding quite lively and bright in my system. I must be imagining things.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back