Wich is better XIN SuperMacro-IV,OR XIN SuperMacro-IV ?
Dec 1, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wich is better XIN SuperMacro-IV,OR XIN Reference ?

This is going to be a hard question to answer, not many have listened to both. Also you can alter the sound in the Supermacro IV via op-amp and buffer changes. To make things interesting there are at least 3 variations on the Reference, 12,000 uF, 15,000 uF, and 22,000 uF plus some other cap changes as well.

I have an early (May 07) Reference and I have listened to HiFlight's September Reference as well as his Supermacro IV. IMO the reference is the better sounding unit, in the case of HiFlight's Supermacro IV he had already done extensive op-amp swapping and the ones he had were the best in his opinion. So I feel that I did a fair comparison between the two.

Regardless, be advised that Dr. Xin is not a good communicator and he is well behind in production (6 to 8 months). If you can not live with such a wait you may want to either get an amp to tie you over while you wait or simply an amp from another vendor.

Dec 2, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you mrarroyo.I ordered a SuperMacro-IV today thinking it would be the better sounding,I ordered with a credit card,After reading your comparison of the two,I wish I had ordered the Reference ,It was priced lower.

Actually, there are some changes that Dr. Xin is doing to both amps. I have not heard any Supermacro IV w/ a build date of June 07 or later. So who knows how the newer ones will sound. If you like tweaking the Supermacro IV is for you!

Since you used a CC you can always email Dr. Xin to change the order. Just do not expect a response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back