Wich DIY project build...
Apr 18, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by netsky3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean that the "output" of a transformer at 15V can be directly connected on the circuit of the CKK if in the board is present the AC->DC converter and the filter? Right?
atsmile.gif

Practicallya toroidal on the case and the output directly on the circuit.
redface.gif

yes, the power suppy, including rectifiers and smoothing caps, are on the single PCB, which also includes the amplifying and output circuitry.

Apr 19, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #23 of 40
@netsky3

I have been looking for an amp to build as well. Seems like everyone that has a CK2III and built/tested an M^3 or PPA2 end up liking the sound of the CK2III.

I believe that wall wart is a Jameco shell that they no longer sell online.

Poly case is the only other option i have seen: PS Series AC Wall Plug Enclosures at Polycase

For mine I was thinking of doing it like laptop power bricks, but with an on/off switch. Probably a Radioshack project box (6x3x2) should do. Standard IEC power cable port on one end (with a built in switch and fuse box). Transformer in the middle and 4 pin mini din female port on the other side.

I have been looking at using the FP30-400 transformer since it is a cheaper unit and will be outside of the main box, so a toroidal transformer is not needed.

Anyone with computers should have extra IEC cables. And a pack rat should have 4pin mini cables from the 90's (svideo, svhs cables). I don't believe the 15v AC will be a problem for standard svideo cables.

I've got a mouser BOM put together for all this, plus parts from AMB, other than misc local stuff, and it is right about $150. Mouser is back ordered on one side of every output transistor pair I have looked up: MJE243G/MJE253G, BD13716STU/BD13816STU, BD13916STU/BD14016STU.

I've read some reviews that the default 139/140 a little bright.
137/138 have been described as warm and detailed.
MJE243/MJE253 warm and balanced.
I was planning to put in whatever came off back order fastest, but leaning toward 137/138 pairing.

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #25 of 40
Not Italian... just go by Peppe online
wink.gif

Thought i should add my $150 above includes switchcraft 3.5mm audio in/out ports (easier for me to use on my planned sources). You could go cheaper on those or use RCA and probably save a $10-$15.

The rack mount stuff all seems to use the same screw positions, so it should be easy to swap input/output ports if needed in the future. RCA would need a second hole cut though.

Edit, found the bookmark describing output transistor sound:
Bottom of this page, discrete diamond buffer - parts list
I have seen some of these in CK2III posts usually with same or similar description, but as always no two people hear things the same.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #27 of 40
What case did he list in the BOM?

Probably the default recommended by AMB, 1455Q2201 or 2. Comes in aluminum or black.

Wonder if he will offer kits again on his website. Did you just email Jeff directly?

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by peppe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What case did he list in the BOM?

Probably the default recommended by AMB, 1455Q2201 or 2. Comes in aluminum or black.

Wonder if he will offer kits again on his website. Did you just email Jeff directly?

Yes, by mail.
The case in the BOM is Hammond 1455Q2202 (silver) but i don't know nothing else about it.

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #29 of 40
Apr 21, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #30 of 40
I just finished a CK2III, it sounds very good. It sounds to me as good as the CTH with an expensive tube in it. I am going to use the Hammond case for mine, I think it will be about as small a case as can be used. It was a fun, easy build, I really enjoyed making it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back