Wi-Fi enabled wireless headphones
Feb 24, 2010 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

aabottom

New Head-Fier
Here's a thought. With Wi-Fi music servers becoming popular, I wonder if a Wi-Fi enabled headphone could produce near audiophile sound quality.

I don't know much about Wi-Fi. Perhaps we have to wait for Wi-Fi The Next Generation (Wifi TNG). Perhaps KLEER in the Sennheiser RS 160/170/180 is heading there.

I suppose Blue Tooth is anoother option, but I've heard bad thing about that related to good audio.

Here's some Google hits on "wifi headphones".

1. [size=x-small]Acoustic Research Wi-Fi Headphones[/size]

2. LTB's FreeZone WiFi headphones

3. Gee, I couldn't find much else relevent!

Anybody know of any audio-respectable Wi-Fi enabled wireless headphones?

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 14
Problem with any wireless headphone. The headphone has to contain a wireless receiver, DAC, AMP and the battery to power it all for a reasonable amount of time. Oh and it has to be light enough to wear on your head. All those things make it a tall task to do while keeping the sound quality good.

Even if they can somehow pull this off, I would not want it myself since now if you want to upgrade one part say the DAC you can not.

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Problem with any wireless headphone. The headphone has to contain a wireless receiver, DAC, AMP and the battery to power it all for a reasonable amount of time. Oh and it has to be light enough to wear on your head. All those things make it a tall task to do while keeping the sound quality good.

Even if they can somehow pull this off, I would not want it myself since now if you want to upgrade one part say the DAC you can not.

Yes, that is the challenge. From what I hear, the RS 160/170/180 is getting close to excellent audio quality with KLEER. But, it's not Wi-Fi enabled.

I like the concept of Wi-Fi server with 24/7 playlists, internet radio, HD radio, etc. Walk arround the house all day in-tune. No more push-pause-to-piss.

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by aabottom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that is the challenge. From what I hear, the RS 160/170/180 is getting close to excellent audio quality with KLEER. But, it's not Wi-Fi enabled.

I like the concept of Wi-Fi server with 24/7 playlists, internet radio, HD radio, etc. Walk arround the house all day in-tune. No more push-pause-to-piss.

They make this thing called speakers, they allow you to walk around wirelessly
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

They make this thing called speakers, they allow you to walk around wirelessly
biggrin.gif

k701smile.gif
LOL- Wanna come over and help me move my 170 lbs
tongue_smile.gif
Klipsch RF-7s to the garage so I can tune-in while I work on my bike. We'll have a
beerchug.gif
afterwards. Thanks for the laugh.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 14
Hate the fact that I need to buy a Kleer enabled iPod dongle to be able to control the playback function of my iPod through 1/8" audio jack like RS 180.

This added feature of iPod playback control would be a preferred (wished) function for me than having a digital input on my transmitter.
wink_face.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 14
They could but no one would buy it. Audiophiles wouldnt buy it because they wont sound as good as other headphones and the price would be to high for normal customers. If an Ipod touch could be used as a wireless browser and could last up to 5 hours why cant they make a headphone that just have a built in wireless card?

In comparison, the ipod touch have a bluetooth, wireless browser, a crappy speaker, a touch LED screen, a cpu, and 8 gigabytes of flash drive, smaller than most headphones and it only cost 199$

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaylotc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hate the fact that I need to buy a Kleer enabled iPod dongle to be able to control the playback function of my iPod through 1/8" audio jack like RS 180.

This added feature of iPod playback control would be a preferred (wished) function for me than having a digital input on my transmitter.
wink_face.gif

sorry what are you saying?

Are you saying it'd be cool if it wasn't an add-on but just integrated into the iPod?

Yeah that'd be sweet.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by beamthegreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They could but no one would buy it. Audiophiles wouldnt buy it because they wont sound as good as other headphones and the price would be to high for normal customers. If an Ipod touch could be used as a wireless browser and could last up to 5 hours why cant they make a headphone that just have a built in wireless card?

In comparison, the ipod touch have a bluetooth, wireless browser, a crappy speaker, a touch LED screen, a cpu, and 8 gigabytes of flash drive, smaller than most headphones and it only cost 199$

They're making good progress imo, kleer is the 1st decent leap in a while.
Have patience Beam-san, it won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
ksc75smile.gif

There'll always be a place for corded though imo....

Feb 25, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by aabottom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's some Google hits on "wifi headphones".

1. [size=x-small]Acoustic Research Wi-Fi Headphones[/size]

2. LTB's FreeZone WiFi headphones

Acoustic Research AWD510 isn't exactly a WIFI headphone. There was a review of this product back in early 2008 by CNET. See link.
Acoustic Research AWD510 Wireless Headphones Headphone reviews - CNET Reviews

Strange that AR announced a Wi-Fi headphone for Y2009 but nowhere visible ...

Checked LTB's website and couldn't find the Freezone Wi-Fi headphone either. I came across a site where this product was mentioned and it appeared that it was posted back in 2005.
Wireless Headphones Are Finally Here | Popular Science

Mmmm, sounds like there was an attempt to develop a Wi-Fi headphones in the past but eventually flop dead.
redface.gif

Let's see what happens next with the next generation of WiFi headphones...

Feb 25, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Not sure if you've ever heard a Kleer enabled headphones like the RS 180. When you do, you'll probably change your mind...
normal_smile .gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaylotc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Acoustic Research AWD510 isn't exactly a WIFI headphone. There was a review of this product back in early 2008 by CNET. See link.
Acoustic Research AWD510 Wireless Headphones Headphone reviews - CNET Reviews

Strange that AR announced a Wi-Fi headphone for Y2009 but nowhere visible ...

Checked LTB's website and couldn't find the Freezone Wi-Fi headphone either. I came across a site where this product was mentioned and it appeared that it was posted back in 2005.
Wireless Headphones Are Finally Here | Popular Science

Mmmm, sounds like there was an attempt to develop a Wi-Fi headphones in the past but eventually flop dead.
redface.gif

Let's see what happens next with the next generation of WiFi headphones...

Thanks for diggin' into this a little further. It looks like WiFi is not yet there for wireless headphones. Maybe it's KLEER to the rescue.

Maybe we'll start seeing some PC music servers with wireless KLEER transmission throughout the house.

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #14 of 14
When we get as close to perfect as we can (within the bounds of current human hearing)...
I don't reckon it'll be via wifi or one of it's iterations, It'll prolly be a close cousin though
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back