Why's the new Audio-Technica ATH-AD Air series listed under casual on Audiocubes?
Dec 20, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
Are you certain the drivers are the same? I've never heard that before.

from the grado website re: the sr225:
"Features are the same as the SR125 but, this Headphone has an increased air flow by 50% which is achieved through an improved rear metal screen and closer matched drivers."

Dec 23, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #47 of 51
Got my AD1000's in record time from the far east today. The AD1000's rock. All I can say is WOW!

My Gigabeat drives them to decent volume. There is enough snap on the midbass and the midrange is full and rich with the highs smooth and airy till the Gigabeat runs out of juice to drive them at the higher volumes. I then moved on to the only piece of equiment that has a headphone jack- a Toshiba DVD player, SD-309. second gen player so it is pretty old. The extra current in the DVD player was able to drive it to levels where the low bass really came in, tight and controlled , the midrange got more luscious and the highs even more smoother, the sound stage become 3-dimensional with the layering of instruments . I was in nirvana, Jennifer Warnes never sounded so good and intimate. The sound was very similar to a state of the art system I had in the early 90's- Krell KMA monoblocks (KMA-160's) driven by the Krell KBL balanced preamp with the Apogee speakers. Source was the Linn Sondek lp-12 with a Breuer Tonearm and the Wadia 2000 CD Transport and Wadia 2000 DAC, which brought me into the digital age of CD's.

The downside of all this is that my son likes the AD1000's so much that he doesn't want to listen to his Sennheiser 555 thru his Sony Pocket. I am afraid I am gonna lose the AD1000's to him. In the meantime will checkout the Lehmann at the CES and would like to hear impressions from any of you who are/were using the Rudistor amps. Having been involved in high end I can safely say that a good amp will definitely bring out what the AD1000's are really capable of-there is still so much promise!

Thanks once again Franchot for guiding me towards this gem!

Dec 23, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #48 of 51
^^^^^^

Glad you're enjoying them and you received them so quickly! For the money spent, I think they're an exceptional headphone. (I just can't figure out what the AD2000s bring to the table for twice the price of the AD1000s.)

(Now about your son...I guess you could tell him to "respect your elders" and his elder wants to listen to the AD1000s.)

Dec 23, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #49 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Franchot
^^^^^^

Glad you're enjoying them and you received them so quickly! For the money spent, I think they're an exceptional headphone. (I just can't figure out what the AD2000s bring to the table for twice the price of the AD1000s.)

(Now about your son...I guess you could tell him to "respect your elders" and his elder wants to listen to the AD1000s.)

Or maybe I will go crazy (enough) without the AD1000's to buy the AD2000's.
k1000smile.gif

Dec 27, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #50 of 51
Received mine on Christmas morning! (pays to tip the postman well
biggrin.gif
)

I easily concur with the opinions of Franchot and gurus. These cans do rock. The Rio Karma drives them perfectly, I am highly impressed with the combo. The AD1000 makes a terrific companion to my Philips HP1000. (the 1000's have it!!!)
The forward presentation is perfect for hard rock/metal, and the bass has that nice punch and deepness. The mids are good too. Only the highs are slightly disappointing. The HP1000 does it so well, though, maybe I shouldn't expect the AT to compete in this regard. It does bass much better, though, so the trade-off makes them a perfect alternative to the Philips. Soundstage is open and airy, pretty much on par with the Philips.

I couldn't believe how light and comfortable they are. They compete with Sony CD780 for the most comfortable cans I've ever owned. I think they look pretty good, too.

Oct 10, 2005 at 10:53 AM Post #51 of 51
... considering that the phillips HP1k only costs around (Edit: 110USD) here for a new one... should I really get the AD1000 over the (phillips) HP1000?

Comparisons between the AD1k and AD2k would be interesting since the AD2k on the other hand, has been said to be "close" to the L3000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back