Why XLR-to-RCA Instead of XLR-to-XLR?
Oct 7, 2015 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BirdManOfCT

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a decent XLR-to-XLR pair between DAC and headphone amp, but am wondering why (it appears that) many people are choosing XLR-to-RCA instead. Comments?

It does seem that it's harder to find XLR-to-XLR. For example, I've considered several AudioQuest lines, but they've been discontinued.

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 6
  I'm looking for a decent XLR-to-XLR pair between DAC and headphone amp, but am wondering why (it appears that) many people are choosing XLR-to-RCA instead. Comments?

It does seem that it's harder to find XLR-to-XLR. For example, I've considered several AudioQuest lines, but they've been discontinued.

Schiit has XLR-to-XLR for a reasonable price.

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 6
Maybe because they have a unit with only RCA inputs?

But in any case, connecting a balanced XLR output to a unbalanced RCA input is tricky. There a 3 different types of balanced output stages and no single interconnect adapter will work with all 3.

Oct 8, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 6
  Maybe because they have a unit with only RCA inputs?

Good point. I'd considered that early on, but was looking primarily at users of HDVD800 and HDVD600, which have balanced inputs, so I guess I blocked that out of my mind. But, could still be same consideration if using for multiple configurations, so excellent point. Thanks!

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 6
There is never any point at all going XLR > RCA.

It will always function as a unbalanced connection and therefore be more prone to noise, earth loops and be quieter.

Go XLR > XLR if you can and both ends are balanced. Otherwise you might as well use RCA > RCA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back