Why would you choose cans over IEMs?
Nov 19, 2015 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Stn.

100+ Head-Fier
I've sampled around in the sub-$100 range with a number of entry-level IEMs. Skullcandy, NuForce, Munitio... I'm ready to take a step up with a budget of about $200, but first I want to consider the possibility cans may be the better buy.

Are cans vs IEMs similar to desktop PCs vs laptops? You can get more power from a desktop, but for many people, a laptop delivers enough power AND offers portability? This could be completely inaccurate.

I don't plan on using an amp. Most listening will be done on my PC from VBR - 320kbps MP3 files. Nothing fancy here.

Why would you choose cans over IEMs?

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 6
I would not view it as a power issue because both IEMs and headphones can deliver ear-damaging levels of sound pressure. Sure the larger the driver the more air a headphone might move, but it is also about seal and where that air goes. With an IEM that air is trapped inside your ear and cannot really escape without interaction with your eardrum whereas a large driver and open headphone will have a ton of loss because the air goes elsewhere. How often to you say "Hey these headphones cannot get loud enough?" If that is an actual concern then an IEM would be easier to drive to louder levels.

It also depends on what you are going be doing with the headphones / IEMs on. Do you travel a ton? Do they need to seal? If so then an IEM is going to be your best bet. If you are looking for something for home use that can deliver a more airy sound then an open headphone might be just for you.

What is making you want to upgrade?

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 6
Advantages of headphones:

More comfortable (to most people)
More durable (generally)
Easier to repair
Won't fall out of your ear

Advantages of IEM's
Better isolation (generally)
More portable

Both sound better with an amp, but you can find both headphones and IEM's that won't require an amp.  Which one to choose really depends on personal preference and what you will be using it for.

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 6
Open-back headphones: Made for home listening, it is a bad idea to use it on the go as it has literally zero isolation, all the details would get lost in the background noise. Supposed to have a larger soundstage and airier sound than closed-back ones.

Closed-back headphones: Made for listening on the go, blocks out a huge chunk of background noise. However they still isolate worse than in ear monitors.

In Ear Monitors: Made for listening on the go, their isolation is superior to headphones (if they are closed but they tipically are), however getting a good seal with them is crucial, and for some people it might be tricky to get it. Also they tend to be more uncomfortable than headphones in my opinion.

So if you want to listen to music at home you go with open-back phones. If you want something portable but can't get a good seal with IEMs or find them uncomfortable you go with closed-back headphones. Or you can just prefer the presentation of full-size headphones more than IEMs or the other way around.

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks guys.

I hadn't thought about the seal. That's important to me. I'd prefer to listen to my music without the entire room hearing it.

Even though I will do 80% of my listening at home, that's probably the deal breaker. I'll post a "help me choose an IEM" thread with the specifics soon! Thanks again!

Nov 19, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 6
I listen to IEMs at work simply because of the isolation. The big difference to me is, as NA Blur said, the movement of air. I use Fostex TH600 at home where they rattle my brain while the Aurisonics ASG-2.5 rattles my ear canals :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back