Why would people buy a 40,000 dollar watch, and then turn around and criticize audiophiles for a 40,000 dollar system?
Oct 12, 2011 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Hifianddrumming

500+ Head-Fier
 Which do you think is of more value? Now I know to people who really want to tell the time while looking at diamonds and gold will say the watch, but in all logic, it seems that the 40,000 dollar rig would be of more use. I met a kid who's dad bought him a 25,000 dollar Ferrari watch (it is Dubai after all
rolleyes.gif
) and then criticized me for spending 400 dollars on my Grados and Fiio E7/E9? Which do you think is of more value, and why do you think people perceive this hobby as wasteful/ useless, when so many things cost more and are more frivolous?

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 51
It's mainly about what society's used to seeing. More people are used to hearing about watches having a huge price range, so it's not that surprising when someone has an expensive one.

Watches are also fashion accessories--at any price range, and expensive ones are classy accessories. Headphones are fashion accessories too, but only for the "cute" or "street" styles. $1000 headphone? Not going to be viewed as a classy accessory.

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 51

Quote:
 Which do you think is of more value? Now I know to people who really want to tell the time while looking at diamonds and gold will say the watch, but in all logic, it seems that the 40,000 dollar rig would be of more use. I met a kid 

Keep in mind that he is a kid. It is common knowledge that hi fi stereo systems are expensive. A kid would not know this usually. Yes there are also older adults who still may be out of touch and not realize what things cost. But it's not really a big deal. I myself am out of touch too.

I had no idea that weddings cost over $25,000. I have never been married and when I found out that a stupid wedding costs that much (not including the divorce cost), I immediately became a snob and laughed at society. However, who's laughing now since I now have no girlfriend.

My point is, we are all stupid at times. But getting back on to the topic, I can understand your frustration. Clueless people can be annoying. 

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 51
Well can you really blame them if they don't know? However outside of forums similar to head-fi or audio in general whether it is headphones or not I think the majority of people would accept spending 25k on a watch over say 10k on a headphone rig.

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 51

Quote:

Keep in mind that he is a kid. It is common knowledge that hi fi stereo systems are expensive. A kid would not know this usually. Yes there are also older adults who still may be out of touch and not realize what things cost. But it's not really a big deal. I myself am out of touch too.

I had no idea that weddings cost over $25,000. I have never been married and when I found out that a stupid wedding costs that much (not including the divorce cost), I immediately became a snob and laughed at society. However, who's laughing now since I now have no girlfriend.

My point is, we are all stupid at times. But getting back on to the topic, I can understand your frustration. Clueless people can be annoying. 

Not only that, the kid recommended that I get some sense and get some beats by dre
rolleyes.gif
I can see what you mean, but so many people, a couple of adults included, just laugh at what I've spent (which isn't actually that much) on audio equipment. I mean, people spend 4,000 dollars in a month, and I've spent 600 dollars overall, in over a year on audio equipment. I am 14 though, and saving up 200 dollars out of my own money can seem frivolous to some I guess.

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 51
It's all about perspective.  The most expensive IEM I paid is $500.  Some of my friends and most of my relatives thinks I'm nuts.  My mother collects antique porcelain plates of Native American themes.  I think she nuts to pay $500 for a freaking plate that you can't eat food off from. 

Like any personal hobby, there's extremes to both ends that others who have no interest will never understand nor accept.

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 51

Quote:
It's all about perspective.  The most expensive IEM I paid is $500.  Some of my friends and most of my relatives thinks I'm nuts.  My mother collects antique porcelain plates of Native American themes.  I think she nuts to pay $500 for a freaking plate that you can't eat food off from.

And this is my point :) as much as Audio equipment is expensive, I feel it's of more value than things such as antique vases, etc. You can listen to it, etc. I know that I use my equipment for 2+ hours a day most days.

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 51
Well, I think you've already answered your question then.  The value and its perception is determined by the eye of the beholder.  Yes, if I had the money, there are a few watches that I would pay $25K+.  I have a decent collection myself.   Funny, a long time ago, I actually landed a job because the hiring manager, who was a watch aficionado admired my Omega, and half the time of the interview, we talked about watches - go figure. 

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #9 of 51

Quote:
 Which do you think is of more value? Now I know to people who really want to tell the time while looking at diamonds and gold will say the watch, but in all logic, it seems that the 40,000 dollar rig would be of more use. I met a kid who's dad bought him a 25,000 dollar Ferrari watch (it is Dubai after all
rolleyes.gif
) and then criticized me for spending 400 dollars on my Grados and Fiio E7/E9? Which do you think is of more value, and why do you think people perceive this hobby as wasteful/ useless, when so many things cost more and are more frivolous?

It takes a certain sophistication to appreciate the value of audio systems.  A watch or other jewelry item is purchased more for showing off than for use.  Any yahoo with money to burn can do that.

If you actually use and enjoy your good quality audio purchases, then it is not frivolous.

Oct 12, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 51
Playing doubles advocate here -  Folks with the money to burn pay big bucks to achieve that artificial experience of being on stage with your favorite performer or recording with them buying hand made speakers, tube amps, amps/pre amps, phono stages, vinyl players, dacs...etc to do one simple thing - personal listening enjoyment and outside envy to those who know and ridicule for those who don't. 

Folks with money to burn pay big bucks for exclusive watches that some are nearly as accurate as atomic watches during a fixed time interval, but marvel at the sophistication of the hand made gears and components to do one simple thing - personal enjoyment of non-digital time keeping and outside envy to those who know and ridicule for those who don't. 

No matter the subject, it's level of perceived purpose and enjoyment, it all falls under one umbrella for any extreme cost - "fanatics". 

Oct 12, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #11 of 51

Quote:
Playing doubles advocate here -  Folks with the money to burn pay big bucks to achieve that artificial experience of being on stage with your favorite performer or recording with them buying hand made speakers, tube amps, amps/pre amps, phono stages, vinyl players, dacs...etc to do one simple thing - personal listening enjoyment and outside envy to those who know and ridicule for those who don't. 

Folks with money to burn pay big bucks for exclusive watches that some are nearly as accurate as atomic watches during a fixed time interval, but marvel at the sophistication of the hand made gears and components to do one simple thing - personal enjoyment of non-digital time keeping and outside envy to those who know and ridicule for those who don't. 

No matter the subject, it's level of perceived purpose and enjoyment, it all falls under one umbrella for any extreme cost - "fanatics". 

I guess you're right in that sense :)

Oct 12, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #12 of 51

Quote:
It takes a certain sophistication to appreciate the value of audio systems.  A watch or other jewelry item is purchased more for showing off than for use.  Any yahoo with money to burn can do that.

If you actually use and enjoy your good quality audio purchases, then it is not frivolous.

Ehh, just because we may be at the receiving end of snobbery of watch enthusiasts, does not mean that we should be snobs about audio in return.
"A certain sophistication"? No. It probably takes enthusiasm more than anything else.

Also do not mistake watch enthusiasts for pursuing their hobby out of vanity. Some simply love the sophistication of timepieces--read the watch-fi thread to see what I mean.

Oct 12, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #13 of 51
It is truly an education to learn about peoples values. People who have made it in the money side of life emulate what they have viewed in other realms of that life. They buy a super big house, boat or a 60K watch as it is statement to both themselves and the world that they made it.

Money can't buy taste, style or class. That is the most fun to see, when folks try really hard but some how look like the Beverly Hillbillies in the end. The watch is an easy way just to make the statement as long as they stay with a classic look.

HI/Fi is very rarely looked at as high class only because it's hard to figure out and value like a name brand watch. Many do not see a value in great music reproduction. My Brother is a perfect example. He loves music reproduction live at concerts and spends close to $900.00 a month on average going to shows, staying in hotel rooms to see the shows or flying in to see the shows. He lives in downtown LA so most money is spent just on the tickets. Go to his house and he plays most of his music on 5 inch computer monitors. He does not see value in music reproduction at home.

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #14 of 51
I'll answer your question objectively: a 40 000 watch tells you time just as well as a well as a Swatch. A 400$ headphones put the iBuds to shame. That's the main difference.

Now I know at least some of you are into good watches. In my opinion, I would have to have lost half my brain to ever spend 40k$ on a watch. Maybe I see things differently by living in a crisis country (Portugal), or maybe it's just that I still live by an allowance, but it just sounds insane. And it's all to show, in the end, unless someone can tell me some kind of personal fulfillment of having such a watch - fine, you like well-calibrated gears, but 40 000$ gears? Other than that, I think it's just so that people can somehow appreciate how successful you are in life and how wasteful you are with money. To me, it's a jewel-incrusted banner sayin "I am rich".

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #15 of 51
A lot of people have their own splurge or luxury fantasies and many of them are silly. One person may desire a collection of $1000 hand bags but good quality stereos, boats, motor cycles are hobbies and not really silly splurges in general even though sometimes they can be. 

I admit that if I were rich I would have some silly splurges too like I may buy some really expensive champagne maybe and party all night for example. I doubt that I would buy any kind of jewelry since jewelry on men is cheesy. But I too would be guilty of some type of hedonism on occasion I think but overall, I would keep it under control and not go over board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back